Solving Parts E & F of Math Problem: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Jec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts
In summary, The conversation is about finding the components of a vector in the direction of another vector using dot product and direction cosines. The speaker is unsure about their answer to a previous question and is seeking clarification. They ask for help with solving parts E and F and are given tips on finding the components of a vector in a specific direction. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for confirmation on their revised answer and the other person suggesting they show their working for further assistance.
Jec
Can someone help me how can I solve parts E and F ?

Attachments

• asdasdasdasdasda.png
    asdasdasdasdasda.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
Jec said:
Can someone help me how can I solve parts E and F ?
Are you sure about your answer to d)? Seems to me that the three components of ##\vec r## are roughly equal, so I would not have expected the angle to be so close to 90 degrees.
For e), you may have been shown a formula for finding the component of one vector in the direction of another. If not, try answering these two questions and comparing the answers:
If you wanted the vertical component of a force F at angle theta to the vertical, what would it be?
If you took the dot product of two vectors of magnitudes a, b, with angle theta between them, what value would you get?

haruspex said:
Are you sure about your answer to d)? Seems to me that the three components of ##\vec r## are roughly equal, so I would not have expected the angle to be so close to 90 degrees.
For e), you may have been shown a formula for finding the component of one vector in the direction of another. If not, try answering these two questions and comparing the answers:
If you wanted the vertical component of a force F at angle theta to the vertical, what would it be?
If you took the dot product of two vectors of magnitudes a, b, with angle theta between them, what value would you get?
Uhm i tried to solve again for the angle and I got 123.06 degrees but not sure.
Should I use only dot product ? would it be (6.1)(-1)+(9.4)(2)+(-8.9)(3) only?

Jec said:
Uhm i tried to solve again for the angle and I got 123.06 degrees but not sure.
Should I use only dot product ? would it be (6.1)(-1)+(9.4)(2)+(-8.9)(3) only?
123 degrees sounds more ressonable. If you want me to check it exactly please post all your working.
The answer to d) is not simply a matter of taking the dot product. Please try to answer the two questions I asked.

It is useful to know that, for any vector [itex]a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}[/itex], the components of the unit vector in that direction, [itex](a/d)\vec{i}+ (b/d)\vec{j}+ (c/d)\vec{k}[/itex], where [itex]d= \sqrt{a^2+ b^2+ c^2}[/itex], are the "direction cosines" of the vector: a/d is the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis, b/d is the cosine of the angle between the vector and the y-axis, and c/d is the cosine of the angle between the vector and the z-axis.

Related to Solving Parts E & F of Math Problem: Step-by-Step Guide

What are the steps involved in solving Parts E & F of the math problem?

The steps involved in solving Parts E & F of the math problem are as follows:

1. Identify the given information and what is being asked in the problem.
  2. Use any relevant formulas or equations to set up the problem.
  3. Solve for the missing variables or quantities.
  4. Check your answer for accuracy and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.
  5. Write a clear and concise solution, including all steps and calculations.

How do I know which formulas or equations to use in solving Parts E & F of the math problem?

The formulas or equations to use will depend on the specific problem and the given information. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Look for keywords or phrases that may indicate which formula or equation to use. If you are unsure, you can also consult a math textbook or ask a teacher or tutor for guidance.

What common mistakes should I avoid when solving Parts E & F of the math problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Parts E & F of the math problem include:

• Forgetting to write out all steps and calculations.
  • Using the wrong formula or equation.
  • Misinterpreting the given information and setting up the problem incorrectly.
  • Not checking your answer for accuracy.
  • Incorrectly rounding or using significant figures.

How can I check my answer for accuracy when solving Parts E & F of the math problem?

There are a few ways to check your answer for accuracy when solving Parts E & F of the math problem. One way is to plug your answer back into the original problem and see if it makes sense. Another way is to use a calculator or online tool to double-check your calculations. It can also be helpful to ask a friend or teacher to look over your work and check for any errors.

Is there a specific order in which I should solve Parts E & F of the math problem?

There is no specific order in which you must solve Parts E & F of the math problem. However, it is generally recommended to first solve for any missing variables or quantities before moving on to any additional steps or calculations. This can help to simplify the problem and make it easier to understand and solve.