Solving Particle Track Questions in Quadrants: TL, TR, BL, BR

In summary, the conversation is about two questions asking to identify the correct particle tracks for specific quadrants in a room divided into four quadrants. The first question asks for tracks indicating an opposite direction of the magnetic field in the top left and top right quadrants, while the second question asks for tracks indicating the same direction of the magnetic field in the top left and bottom left quadrants. The answer for the first question is track B, while the answer for the second question is track A.
sasuke07

Homework Statement

So there are 2 questions i need help with.
1. Divide the room (for the rest of this valdation) into four (4) quadrants labeled Top Left (TL), Top Right (TR), Bottom Left (BL), and Bottom Right (BR). Which of the four particle tracks indicates that the B field in the TL and TR quadrants are in the opposite direction?
2. Which of the four particle tracks indicates that the B field in the TL and BL quadrants are in the same direction?

Homework Equations

no equations needed

The Attempt at a Solution

for number 1, i thought the answer would be C, and two i thought the answer would be D. But i got both answers wrong. I was wondering if someone could help me on these 2 questions.
Thanks.

Attachments

• MagForce1.jpg
    MagForce1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
Problem 1 asks about "top left" and "top right" so only a trajectory that stays in the top half is relevant. Problem 2 talks about the "top left" and "lower left" so only a trajectory that stays in the left half is relevant.

SO could you say that for problem one would have to be B, and for problem 2 the answer would have to be A?

Related to Solving Particle Track Questions in Quadrants: TL, TR, BL, BR

1. How do I identify particle tracks in each quadrant?

To identify particle tracks in each quadrant, look for curved lines that start and end in the same quadrant. These curved lines represent the path of a particle as it passes through the quadrant.

2. What information can I gather from the particle tracks in each quadrant?

The particle tracks in each quadrant can provide information about the charge and mass of the particles. The direction and curvature of the tracks can also give insight into the type of particle that created them.

3. How do I determine the momentum of a particle from its track in a quadrant?

To determine the momentum of a particle from its track in a quadrant, you will need to know the magnetic field strength and the radius of curvature of the track. Using these values, you can use the equation p = qBr to calculate the momentum.

4. Can I use the information from particle tracks in all four quadrants to determine the particle's energy?

Yes, you can use the information from particle tracks in all four quadrants to determine the particle's energy. By analyzing the curvature and length of the tracks, as well as the magnetic field strength, you can calculate the particle's energy using the equation E = 1/2 mv^2.

5. How can I use the concept of symmetry to solve particle track questions in quadrants?

Symmetry can be helpful in solving particle track questions by allowing you to make assumptions about the path of the particle. For example, if you know the track in one quadrant, you can assume that the track in the opposite quadrant will have a similar path but in the opposite direction. This can help simplify calculations and provide a more accurate solution.