Solving Oscillation Problem: Frequency, Amplitude, Phase

• Thread starter vande060
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillation
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency, amplitude, and phase of simple harmonic motion resulting from an inelastic collision between two masses connected to a spring. The equation for frequency is given as √[k/(m1+m2)], and the amplitude and phase can be found using the values for velocity and position at t=0.
vande060

Homework Statement

A mass m1 connected to a spring of force constant k
is at rest at equilibrium at the origin. It is struck inelastically
by a mass m2 moving at speed v0 at t = 0. Find
the frequency, amplitude and phase of the resulting simple
harmonic motion

Homework Equations

x(t) = A sin(ωt − theta)

freq = (B/A)^-1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

well, first off it is an inelastic collision so the masses will stick together so i think velocity should look like this after the collision

m1v0 = (m1 + m2)v1

v1 = (m1v0)/(m1 + m2)

then i went along with an equation for energy, i don't feel too good about this step

E = 1/2(m1 + m2)v1 + 1/2kx^2

freq = (B/A)^-1/2

freq = [k/(m1 + m2)]^-1/2

so then would i plug the amplitude(A) and the frequency(w) into the equation x(t) from above

i will be amazed if this is even close. help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your ω=√[k/(m1+m2)]

You found v1, so when t=0, v(0)=v1 which should help you get A.

and x(0)= 0 to get θ.

Related to Solving Oscillation Problem: Frequency, Amplitude, Phase

1. What is the definition of frequency in oscillation problems?

Frequency refers to the number of complete oscillations or cycles that occur in a given unit of time. It is measured in units of hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.

2. How does the amplitude affect oscillation frequency?

The amplitude is the maximum displacement or distance from the equilibrium position in an oscillation. In general, a larger amplitude will result in a higher frequency of oscillation because the system has more energy and therefore can complete more cycles in a given amount of time.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and period in oscillation problems?

The period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation to occur, while the frequency is the number of oscillations per unit of time. These two variables are inversely related, meaning that as frequency increases, the period decreases.

4. How does phase affect oscillation frequency?

Phase refers to the position of an oscillating system at a particular point in time. It does not directly affect the frequency of oscillation, but it can impact the shape and amplitude of the oscillation curve. A phase shift can occur if there is a change in the initial conditions or external forces acting on the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving oscillation problems?

Oscillation problems can be found in many areas of science and engineering, such as in the study of sound waves, mechanical vibrations in structures, and electrical circuits. Understanding the frequency, amplitude, and phase of oscillations can help in designing and improving various technologies, such as musical instruments, earthquake-resistant buildings, and electronic devices.