Solving Nonlinear Equations with Numeric Methods

• MHB
  • Thread starter Wilmer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses three equations with three unknowns (A, B, and C) and the need to solve for them. It is noted that the equations are highly non-linear and may not have a unique solution. Different methods, such as using Excel Solver or MATLAB, are suggested for finding a solution. The conversation also explores the possibility of eliminating variables to simplify the equations, but it is ultimately determined that numerical methods would be the best approach. A simplified version of the equations is provided, and an exact solution is found by setting B and C to a specific value.
Wilmer
A = [1.25 * 10^(-9)] / [(27/2) * ((B + 2)*(C + 2))^(-2)]

B = FLOOR[1.29 * A^(-1/4)] - 2

C = FLOOR[A^(-1/4) * 4.476 * ((B + 2) / (11*B + 43))^(1/2)] - 2

3 equations, 3 unknowns. Solve for A,B,C.

I can only see numeric methods here.
Any insights? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Several thoughts:

1. You could quite easily eliminate one variable, as all three equations are explicit. [EDIT]: See Bacterius below for a better answer.

2. You're most definitely not guaranteed a unique solution. The floor function is not 1-1, so inverting it can be problematic. You're not guaranteed that a solution exists, and if one does exist, you're not guaranteed that it is unique.

3. For a highly nonlinear system like this, I'm thinking numerical is your only option. The Excel Solver routine might give you good results, or maybe MATLAB or a MATLAB clone like GNU Octave if you can't afford MATLAB.

Last edited:
You can actually eliminate two variables to solve an equation in A (express all B's in terms of A, then substitute the C in the first equation by the third equation). You can then obtain expressions for B (and then C) trivially. But this equation which has lots of floor functions and exponents is probably going to be difficult/impossible to rearrange for A, so I'd say numerical is probably easiest here.

Bacterius said:
You can actually eliminate two variables to solve an equation in A (express all B's in terms of A, then substitute the C in the first equation by the third equation). You can then obtain expressions for B (and then C) trivially. But this equation which has lots of floor functions and exponents is probably going to be difficult/impossible to rearrange for A, so I'd say numerical is probably easiest here.

Good catch!

I believe there is no solution.

Change the variables to a=1/A, B and C and the solution is a=0, B=-2, C=-2

(or my algebra could have gone horribly wrong, you could also help yourself by simplifying the equations)

CB

Thanks everyone...
I tried it, REMOVING the floor function, this way:

Let u = 1.25 * 10^(-9) / (27/2) , v = 1.29 , w = 4.476

Then the equations can be rewritten:
A = u * [(B + 2)(C + 2)]^2

B = v / A^(1/4) - 2

C = w / A^(1/4) * SQRT[(B + 2) / (11B + 43)] - 2

Manipulations/contortions(!) of above lead to:
11vA^2 + 21A^(9/4) - uv^3w^2 = 0 ; (I'm 99.9% sure that's correct!)

And that also seems to require numeric solving; you were correct in "many solutions";
Wolfram hands out 8 of them; with one real where A = .0000160191 :

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=11*1.29*a%5E2%2B21*a%5E%289%2F4%29-%281.25*10%5E%28-9%29%2F13.5%29*1.29%5E3*4.476%5E2%3D0
These equations I'm told are for buckling of columns, in structural engineering!
Further comments appreciated!

We can simplify the expressions as follows:
\begin{align*}
A&=\frac{5}{54}\,\times 10^{-9}(B+2)^{2}(C+2)^{2}\\
B&=\left\lfloor \frac{1.29}{\sqrt[4]{A}}\right\rfloor-2\\
C&=\left\lfloor\frac{4.476}{\sqrt[4]{A}}\sqrt{\frac{B+2}{11B+43}}\right\rfloor
\end{align*}
Now we follow Bacterius's suggestion to obtain the following single equation
for $A$:
$$A=\frac{5\times 10^{-9}}{54}\left\lfloor\frac{1.29}{\sqrt[4]{A}}\right\rfloor^{2}
\times\left\lfloor\frac{4.476}{\sqrt[4]{A}}\sqrt{\frac{\left\lfloor\frac{1.29}{\sqrt[4]{A}}\right\rfloor}{11\left\lfloor\frac{1.29}{\sqrt[4]{A}}\right\rfloor+21}}\right\rfloor^{2}.$$
If you plot the LHS and the RHS on the same axis, you do get an intersection
on a horizontal portion of the RHS's graph at around $A=0.000015$. Using the
FindRoot command in Mathematica yielded the solution
$$A\to 0.0000150371,\quad B\to 18.,\quad C\to 18.$$
Naturally, $B$ and $C$ must be integers.
If I use the FindRoot command just on the $A$ equation, I get a more refined value of $A\to 0.0000149558.$

Last edited:
On even more reflection, I believe you can come up with an exact answer. Let $B=C=18$. Then $A=1.48\overline{148}\times 10^{-5}$ satisfies all equations.

Thanks.

However, B=18 and C=18 results in range A = 1.43000 * 10^(-5) to 1.72000 * 10^(-5)

Agree?

Wilmer said:
Thanks.

However, B=18 and C=18 results in range A = 1.43000 * 10^(-5) to 1.72000 * 10^(-5)

Agree?

You get an exact value from plugging $B=18$ and $C=18$ into the first equation. There's no range. I get $A=1/67500$. How are you getting your range?

Ackbach said:
How are you getting your range?
Sorry...was doing something different...not applicable here...

Thanks everyone for the responses. All's fine now.

Related to Solving Nonlinear Equations with Numeric Methods

1. What does "This one FLOORs me...." mean?

This phrase is a play on words, combining the word "floor" as a noun meaning a level surface and "floors" as a verb meaning to amaze or astonish someone. It is often used to express surprise or shock at something.

2. Is "This one FLOORs me...." a scientific term?

No, this phrase is not a scientific term. It is a colloquial expression used in everyday language.

3. Who coined the phrase "This one FLOORs me...."?

The origin of this phrase is unknown. It is a commonly used expression and has likely evolved over time through popular usage.

4. Can "This one FLOORs me...." be used in a scientific context?

While this phrase is not a scientific term, it could potentially be used in a scientific context as a figure of speech to express surprise or amazement at a scientific discovery or phenomenon.

5. Are there any similar phrases to "This one FLOORs me...."?

Yes, there are many similar phrases that convey a similar meaning such as "This blows my mind", "I'm blown away", or "That's mind-boggling". These phrases are all used to express surprise or awe at something.