Solving Node Voltage: Va = Vb x R1/(R1+R0)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the node voltage using the equation Va = Vb x R1/(R1+R0). The person is confused about using 4//4 to find Vb and asks for clarification on the meaning of the symbol //. Another person suggests finding the resultant resistance of the circuit to simplify the calculation.
385sk117

Homework Statement

Find the node voltage

Homework Equations

Va = Vb x R1/(R1+R0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I didnt have the original picture of the question but this example is exactly same as the question that i had to solve. but I don't understand this thing from the first step.
How can Vb = Va x (4//4)/(4//4+2)? I know that the 2ohms at the right side of circuit can be added as series and functions as 4ohm and it is paralle to 4 ohm in the middle. and so the total resistance of the circuit is 4//4 +2, but why do we use 4//4 to find Vb? isn't it just 2ohm in front of Vb that we have to use?
Help please
Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the symbol // (as in 4 // 4) mean?

There are a lot of ways to analyze circuits and its been alittle while for me. That being said the easiest way to find Vb would be to find the resultant resistance of the right hand side/loop of the circuit. Since it turns out to be equal to 2 ohms then you have two resistors in series that are both 2 ohms. Thus the voltage drops will be equal to each other and be 1/2 of the source voltage or 3 volts.

Related to Solving Node Voltage: Va = Vb x R1/(R1+R0)

1. What is the Node Voltage method?

The Node Voltage method is a circuit analysis technique that uses Kirchoff's current law and Ohm's law to solve for unknown voltages at different nodes in a circuit.

2. How do you determine the node voltages in a circuit?

To determine the node voltages, you first need to label each node in the circuit. Then, apply Kirchoff's current law at each node to create a system of equations. Finally, solve the equations using algebra and Ohm's law to find the unknown node voltages.

3. What is the equation for solving node voltages using resistors?

The equation is Va = Vb x R1/(R1+R0), where Va and Vb are the voltages at two adjacent nodes and R1 and R0 are the resistances connected between the two nodes. This equation is based on the voltage divider rule.

4. Can the Node Voltage method be used for circuits with non-linear components?

No, the Node Voltage method can only be used for circuits with linear components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. Non-linear components, such as diodes and transistors, require more complex analysis techniques.

5. What are the advantages of using the Node Voltage method?

The Node Voltage method is a systematic and efficient way to solve for multiple unknown voltages in a circuit. It also allows for easy analysis of complex circuits by breaking them down into smaller, simpler parts. Additionally, it can be easily applied to circuits with multiple sources and is less prone to mistakes compared to other methods.