Solving Nicaragua's 1988 Inflation Problem

• Thread starter alyplayford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inflation
In summary, in 1988 Nicaragua's average inflation rate was 1.3% per day. To find the percentage increase in prices during June of 1988, you can use the formula A = P(1+r)^n, where A is the total amount, P is the starting amount, r is the rate as a decimal, and n is the number of compounding periods. Using this formula, we can find that the percentage increase in prices during June of 1988 was 47.3%. To find the annual inflation rate for 1988, we need to take into account that 1988 was a leap year, so the formula would be (1 + .013) ^ 366. This gives us
alyplayford

Homework Statement

During 1988 Nicaragua's inflation rate averaged 1.3% perd day. This means that on average, prices went up by 1.3 percent from one day to the next. By what percentage did Nicaraguan prices increase in June of 1988? What was Nicaragua's annual inflation rate during 1988?

Homework Equations

I don't understand how to solve this. I know that I need to somehow create a function (I think an exponential function). How would I go about solving this?

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was figured out how many days from Jan 1, 1988 to May 31, 1988, which is 151. Then I tried to plug that into an exponential format, like this:

P = b(.013)^151

I think that's the wrong direction, and is as far as I got.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with compound interest?

If not: [tex]A=P(1+r)^{n}[/tex]
Where A = the total amount
P = how much you started with
r = the rate as a decimal/fraction
and n = the number of compounding periods

Can you see how this relates to your problem?

And are you sure it's up to June (in the first question), and not just during June? Even if it's not, 1988 is a leap year (which helps with the second question anyway), so there isn't 151 days from January to May.

After getting help from another person, yes, I understand that you need to use that equation. However, I have no value for P!

So would it look like this:

(1 + .013)^30?

And yes, it's referring only to the month of June, not to the time up to it. That was my mistake.

I got the answer 47.3% for the first part of the problem. Is that right? And how would I solve the second part? Would it be

(1 + .013) ^365

I'm still quite confused.

alyplayford said:
After getting help from another person, yes, I understand that you need to use that equation. However, I have no value for P!

Well, see if you can find what P needs to be if you want the rate. I'll give you a hint:

On the first day, something costing price P now costs 1.013*P
On the second day, something originally costing P now costs 1.013*1.013*P, or about 1.26*P.
You know 1.013 was the original rate, now 1.26 is the rate over two days. In order for this to be true, what does P have to be? (In other words, you don't need P to find the RATE)

alyplayford said:
I got the answer 47.3% for the first part of the problem. Is that right? And how would I solve the second part? Would it be

(1 + .013) ^365

I'm still quite confused.

Yes, 47.3% is correct, but for the second part, remember that 1988 is a leap year...

So would it be (1 + .013) ^ 366?

Related to Solving Nicaragua's 1988 Inflation Problem

What caused Nicaragua's inflation problem in 1988?

The main cause of Nicaragua's inflation problem in 1988 was the country's civil war. The war disrupted the country's economy, leading to a decrease in production and an increase in government spending. This resulted in a high demand for goods and services, leading to rising prices.

How did the Nicaraguan government attempt to solve the inflation problem?

The Nicaraguan government implemented various measures to tackle the inflation problem, including imposing price controls, increasing interest rates, and reducing government spending. They also sought assistance from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to implement economic reforms and stabilize the economy.

Did the measures taken by the Nicaraguan government effectively solve the inflation problem?

The measures taken by the Nicaraguan government temporarily stabilized the economy and reduced inflation. However, the IMF's economic reforms, which included privatization and austerity measures, also had negative impacts on the country's economy and led to social unrest.

How did the inflation problem affect the people of Nicaragua?

The inflation problem had severe consequences for the people of Nicaragua. The rising prices made it difficult for people to afford basic necessities, and many lost their jobs due to the economic instability. This led to widespread poverty and social unrest in the country.

What lessons can be learned from Nicaragua's 1988 inflation problem?

The inflation problem in Nicaragua serves as a reminder of the devastating effects of war on a country's economy. It also highlights the importance of implementing sustainable economic policies and seeking assistance from international organizations to prevent or mitigate economic crises.