Solving Newtons 2nd Law Homework: Velocity of Rocket on Ground

In summary: Ignoring gravity, the velocity of the rocket in the East direction is 10 m/s. The velocity in the up direction is also 10 m/s.
iuhoosierz

Homework Statement

Ok this is kind of long. This is the 4th question on my homework assignment and I need to give background on the first 3 to make sure I got those correct.
1. I am sure on this since it was simply finding the weight of a rocket ship that has an intial mass of 3kg. Answer is 30N

2. Question is: Let's assume half the mass of the rocket is fuel and is spewed out nearly instantaneously. If the fuel for the rocket travels downward at a velocity of 40 m/s then what will be the initial velocity of the rest of the rocket? My answer is 40m/s Is this correct?

3. Instead of saying it is instantaneous let's say that the fuel was ejected in a time of 0.2 seconds.
A. Ignoring gravity during this time, what is the acceleration on the rocket during this time. I used A=change in Vel/Time and got 200 m/s
B. What is the force on the rocket during this time? I used F=MA and got 300N Up

Ok, IF these are all correct here is the question that I cannot figure out.

4. Near the ground there is no wind
A. What is the velocity of the rocket in the East Direction?
B. What is the velocity in the up direction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know velocity=change in position/time but not real sure what #'s to use here and really it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Do I need to use 10m/s for gravity in here somewhere?
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers to 1, 2 and 3 are correct.

4-A. Zero, because there is no horizontal force.
4-B. Doesn't make sense if you ignore gravity. It'll be still 40 m/s.

Thanks. So if we weren't ignoring gravity would it be 10m/s?

iuhoosierz said:
Thanks. So if we weren't ignoring gravity would it be 10m/s?

How do you arrive at this value?

Related to Solving Newtons 2nd Law Homework: Velocity of Rocket on Ground

What is Newton's 2nd law?

Newton's 2nd law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the less it will accelerate.

How do you calculate the velocity of a rocket on the ground?

To calculate the velocity of a rocket on the ground, you will need to know the mass of the rocket, the force applied to it, and the acceleration of the rocket. You can then use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (usually 0 for a rocket on the ground), a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What units are used for Newton's 2nd law?

The units used for Newton's 2nd law are Newtons (N) for force, kilograms (kg) for mass, and meters per second squared (m/s²) for acceleration. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent when using this formula to prevent errors in calculations.

Can the velocity of a rocket on the ground be negative?

Yes, the velocity of a rocket on the ground can be negative. This would indicate that the rocket is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. In other words, if the rocket's initial velocity is 0 and it has a negative velocity, it is moving backwards.

Can Newton's 2nd law be used for objects other than rockets?

Yes, Newton's 2nd law can be used for any object, not just rockets. It is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all objects, regardless of size, shape, or mass. It is commonly used in engineering, mechanics, and other fields to calculate the motion and forces acting on various objects.