Solving My Computer's Unexpected Shutdowns

• Thread starter Hercule Poirot
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is experiencing a problem where their computer shuts down suddenly, which they initially thought was due to a virus or worm. They formatted their computer and the problem stopped, but it resurfaced again with the invasion of trojans and spywares. Despite formatting again, the problem continues to occur more frequently with no clear reason. The speaker is unsure if it is a hardware or software issue and is seeking help. A potential cause suggested is the sasser worm.
Hercule Poirot
Bonjour my friends:

To state my problem in short: My computer shuts down suddenly

Explaination: I have this problem occurring several times a year ago. I thought it was some sort of virus or worm that causes which I couldn't find this thing. I formatted my computer and guess what it didn't happen again. But with months passing and with no effective protection program, my computer was invaded by nasty trojans and spywares and I couldn't solve this problem with regular anti spyware programs. The problem of shutting down suddenly resurfaced again. I formatted the harddrive and everything works fine but my compture still and with no warning shuts down. This problem is happening more frequently now and I found no reason for that.

Could this be a hardware problem? Or is it some software problem?

I appreciate those who will help out.

Poirot.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Did you patch your system? Are you running a firewall? It may simply be the sasser worm crashing your computer remotely.

Thanks Mentor

1. Why is my computer unexpectedly shutting down?

There are several possible reasons for unexpected shutdowns, including overheating, power supply issues, software conflicts, and hardware malfunctions.

2. How can I determine the cause of the unexpected shutdowns?

You can start by checking the computer's temperature and making sure it is not overheating. You should also check for any error messages or codes that may appear before the shutdown occurs. Running diagnostic tests and updating drivers can also help identify the cause.

3. How can I prevent unexpected shutdowns from happening?

To prevent unexpected shutdowns, make sure your computer is properly ventilated and not overheating. Regularly clean the inside of your computer to remove dust and debris that can cause overheating. Keep your software and drivers updated, and avoid running too many programs at once.

4. Can malware or viruses cause unexpected shutdowns?

Yes, malware or viruses can cause unexpected shutdowns by corrupting system files or disrupting critical processes. It is important to regularly run anti-virus and anti-malware scans to ensure your computer is not infected.

5. Should I seek professional help if my computer continues to unexpectedly shut down?

If you have tried troubleshooting the issue yourself and the unexpected shutdowns persist, it may be necessary to seek professional help. A technician can perform more advanced diagnostic tests and repairs to identify and fix the root cause of the problem.