Solving Motion of Block A on Wedge B

In summary, a block A of mass m is placed over a wedge B of same mass m, with all surfaces assumed to be smooth. The displacement of block A after 1 second of being released from rest is being determined. The given equations and free body diagrams show that the blocks must stay in contact and have the same velocities perpendicular to the contact. This information can be used to solve the problem.
hav0c

Homework Statement

A block A of mass m is placed over a wedge B of same mass m. Assuming all surface to be smooth. The displacement of block A is 1 sec if the system is released from rest is :

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have made fbds and have the relations-
1. ma1=(g-N1)/m
2.N1cos θ+mg cosθ=N2
3.ma2=sinθ(mg+N1)
now I am stuck

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 696
Physics news on Phys.org
There is one more equation. The blocks stay in contact so their velocities perpendicular to the contact are same. What can you say about the relative acceleration perpendicular to the contact?

Likes 1 person
consciousness said:
There is one more equation. The blocks stay in contact so their velocities perpendicular to the contact are same. What can you say about the relative acceleration perpendicular to the contact?

What velocities are the same?
I don't get it
EDIT:Thanks i got it A1=a2sintheta

Last edited:
hav0c said:

Homework Statement

A block A of mass m is placed over a wedge B of same mass m. Assuming all surface to be smooth. The displacement of block A is 1 sec if the system is released from rest is :

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have made fbds and have the relations-
1. ma1=(g-N1)/m
2.N1cos θ+mg cosθ=N2
3.ma2=sinθ(mg+N1)
now I am stuck

Your first equation has a dimensional error.

I don't think the second equation would do any good. Your third equation is fine. Apply the constraint that blocks A and B stay together during the motion.

I would like to commend you for taking the initiative to create free body diagrams and identifying the relevant equations for this problem. It shows that you have a good understanding of the basic principles involved.

To continue with your solution, I would suggest that you first try to simplify the equations you have identified. For example, equation 2 can be rewritten as N1(cosθ+sinθ)=mg. This can then be substituted into equations 1 and 3 to eliminate N1 and make the equations easier to solve.

Additionally, you can also consider conservation of energy in this system. Since the system is released from rest, the initial potential energy will be equal to the final kinetic energy. This can be expressed as mgh = 1/2mv^2, where h is the height of the wedge and v is the velocity of block A at the end of 1 second. This can be used to solve for v and then the displacement of block A can be calculated using the equation d=v*t.

I hope this helps guide you towards finding a solution to the problem. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to always approach problems with a critical and analytical mindset, and to continue to experiment and explore different possible solutions. Good luck!

Related to Solving Motion of Block A on Wedge B

What is the motion of block A on wedge B?

The motion of block A on wedge B is a combination of linear and rotational motion. Block A moves along the surface of wedge B while also rotating around a pivot point.

What factors affect the motion of block A on wedge B?

The motion of block A on wedge B is affected by the angle of the wedge, the mass of the block, the friction between the surfaces, and external forces acting on the system.

How can we determine the acceleration of block A on wedge B?

The acceleration of block A on wedge B can be determined by using Newton's second law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

What are the applications of understanding the motion of block A on wedge B?

Understanding the motion of block A on wedge B is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics. It can be applied in designing machines, analyzing the motion of objects on inclines, and understanding the effects of friction on motion.

What are some common problems encountered when solving the motion of block A on wedge B?

Some common problems encountered when solving the motion of block A on wedge B include accounting for all the forces acting on the system, correctly determining the coefficient of friction, and accurately measuring the angle of the wedge.