Solving Momentum and Impulse: Tennis Ball Force & Velocity

In summary, a tennis player is able to exert an average force of 28N when hitting a ball. A 70 g tennis ball comes toward the player at 30 m/s and it hit back in the opposite direction. If the contact time between the racket and ball is 0.1s, the ball leaves with a velocity of 10m/s.
ProPM
A tennis player is able to exert an average force of 28N when hitting a ball.

Calculate the impulse if the racket is in contact with the ball for 0.1 seconds:

Then I did: 28 x 0.1 and got 2.8 kg m/s.

The follow up question was: A 70 g tennis ball comes toward the player at 30 m/s and it hit back in the opposite direction. Show that if the contact time between the racket and ball is 0.1s, the ball leaves with a velocity of 10m/s.

So the teacher did: Change in Momentum = mv - mu

2.8 = 0.07 x 30 - 0.07 x (-10)

Ok, I tried to do it with my thinking and I got this:

The initial mv is: 30 x 0.07 = 2.1 kg m/s
The final mv is: -10 x 0.07 = -0.7

Which, equals to -2.8, which, might have been because he did initial - final momentum? Or did I do something wrong?

But anyway, the greatest problem is the fact I don't know how he knew beforehand that the change in momentum would be 2.8! I know we had to, because it asked us to SHOW. My difficulty is due to the fact that from the first question, I thought that impulse was generated when the ball was hit by the tennis player from a standstill, since a ball with a different initial velocity would have started with a lot more momentum and consequently, the change would've been much greater by the end.

I am confused, any help appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, i'll try to break this down for you using these equations

Ftotal*ΔT = ΔP
ΔP = m*ΔV

where ΔP is the change in momentum, ΔV is the change in velocity and ΔT is the change in time

Since you have a force that was applied for a certain amount of time, one would agree that this is a change in momentum, right? (much like if you slid a book across a table, the friction force would have to be acting against the book for a certain amount of time to change its velocity)

So we know that FTotal*ΔT = 2.8 kg*m/s right? Well looking at our equation up there Ftotal*ΔT = ΔP!

So that must mean that ΔP equals 2.8kg*m/s!, that means regardless of how fast that ball is going toward the player, it will experience a change in momentum of 2.8kg*m/s

so continuing with the calculation:

ΔP = m*ΔV

Since the ball goes from -30m/s to 10m/s (accounting for direction) we can say that the total change in velocity is -40m/s (V2 - V1) and the mass is 0.07kg

therefore:
2.8kg*m/s=0.07kg*40m/s
and 2.8kg*m/s = 2.8kg*m/s

The negative i believe is just because of what your teacher is considering negative and positive directions.

Hope that helped

:smile: Definetely helped, thanks a lot mHo2.

Related to Solving Momentum and Impulse: Tennis Ball Force & Velocity

1. How does momentum affect the force and velocity of a tennis ball?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's mass and velocity. In the case of a tennis ball, the momentum will affect the force and velocity of the ball because a greater momentum means a greater force and velocity.

2. What is the relationship between impulse and change in momentum?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. The greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum. In the case of a tennis ball, a stronger impulse will result in a greater change in momentum, leading to a higher force and velocity.

3. How does surface affect the force and velocity of a tennis ball?

The surface on which a tennis ball bounces can greatly affect its force and velocity. A harder surface will result in a greater force and velocity because the ball will not deform as much upon impact, while a softer surface will result in a lower force and velocity due to more deformation of the ball.

4. How does the weight of a tennis ball impact its force and velocity?

The weight of a tennis ball does not directly affect its force and velocity. However, a heavier ball will have a greater momentum, which in turn will result in a higher force and velocity upon impact.

5. Is there a way to calculate the exact force and velocity of a tennis ball?

Yes, the force and velocity of a tennis ball can be calculated using the equations for momentum and impulse. However, there are many variables that can affect these calculations, such as the surface, weight, and angle of impact, so the exact values may vary in real-world scenarios.