Solving MCAT Questions: Lens Adjustments and Index of Refraction Explained

• Thread starter derbu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the first question discusses the use of a contact lens to adjust eyesight in order to see an object clearly at a certain distance. The equation 1/f = 2/r, typically used for mirrors, cannot be applied to lenses. The second question involves determining the index of refraction of a piece of glass based on the angle of incidence and reflection of a beam of light. Drawing a diagram may help with understanding.
derbu
First question: The near point, or neatest point at which an object can be seen clearly, for one of your eye is 100cm. You wish to see your friend's face clearly when she stands 50cm in front of you. If you use a tact lens to adjust your eyesight, what must be the radius of curvature and power of the contact lens.

I understand that you have to use the 1/o + 1/i = 1/f equation but, I was told 1/f =2/r is only for mirrors and does not apply to lenses. If 1/f = 2/r can't be used, I don't know any way of solving it.

Second question: Imagine that a beam of monochromatic light originates in air and is allowed to shine upon the flat surface of a piece of glass at an able of 60 degree with the horizontal. THe reflected and refracted beams are perpendicular to each other What is the index of refraction of the glass?

I just can't seem to draw a diagram that makes sense for this question, if someone could explain in detail, that would help a lot!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first question is ridiculous. You're not given the index of refraction for the lens. I guess use 1/f=2/r, implying an index of 2.

For the second question it may help your visualization if you draw the piece of glass vertically on your paper, and orient the beam respectively.

thanks! makes sense now for the second question

Related to Solving MCAT Questions: Lens Adjustments and Index of Refraction Explained

What is the purpose of "Couple MCAT questions"?

The purpose of "Couple MCAT questions" is to assess a couple's compatibility and readiness for marriage by asking them a series of questions related to their values, beliefs, and expectations.

How are "Couple MCAT questions" different from regular MCAT questions?

"Couple MCAT questions" are specifically tailored towards couples and focus on relationship-related topics, while regular MCAT questions cover a broader range of subjects and are used for academic or professional assessments.

Are "Couple MCAT questions" effective in predicting the success of a marriage?

While "Couple MCAT questions" can provide valuable insights into a couple's relationship, they are not a definitive predictor of marriage success. Other factors such as communication, commitment, and compatibility also play important roles.

Who can administer "Couple MCAT questions"?

"Couple MCAT questions" can be administered by trained therapists, counselors, or other professionals with expertise in relationship assessment. They can also be self-administered by couples using a guide or questionnaire.

Can "Couple MCAT questions" be used for premarital counseling?

Yes, "Couple MCAT questions" are commonly used in premarital counseling as a tool to help couples explore and discuss important aspects of their relationship before getting married. They can help identify potential conflicts and facilitate open communication between partners.