Solving Math Mistake: What's Wrong with \frac{m}{M+m}?

In summary, the conversation discusses an error in calculating the fraction of kinetic energy lost in a collision. The correct formula is derived and a numerical example is provided for clarification. The conversation ends with gratitude for the help.
UrbanXrisis
the question is http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/clip002.jpg

I got part A, but for part B I'm haveing trouble. http://home.earthlink.net/~suburban-xrisis/clip001.jpg my work for part B

My book gives me an answer of [tex]\frac{M}{M+m}[/tex]

however my own answer is [tex]\frac{m}{M+m}[/tex]

where is my mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i'll only supply you with a hint,
you have other 2 mistakes.
pm me if your still troubled.

AEK

Huh? I don't think so. Your work looks fine. Your only error was not reading the question carefully enough. It asks what fraction of the kinetic energy was LOST in the collision. What you have is the ratio of the final kinetic energy to the initial kinetic energy, which is what fraction of the KE was left over. Given what you have, the fraction left over, how would you calculate the fraction lost? Hint: what should the two fractions add up to?

:wink:

not quite sure

KE initial is [tex].5mv^2[/tex]
KE final is [tex]\frac{m^2v^2}{2M+2m}[/tex]

do I subtract them?

[tex]\frac{m}{M+m}+KE_{lost}=1[/tex]
[tex]KE_{lost}=\frac{M+m}{M+m}-\frac{m}{M+m}[/tex]
[tex]KE_{lost}=\frac{M}{M+m}[/tex]

Is this what you mean?

Why are you going back to the energies? It's the fractions lost and left over we're worried about. Now, you already derived an expression for the fraction of the original KE left over. For illustration, let's say the masses of the bullet and block respectively are 10g and 90g.

According your formula, (10g) / ( 100g) = 0.1 = 10% of the KE is left over

If only 10% of the KE is left over, how much was lost? 90% of it. How did I calculate that?

I hope that makes it clearer...sometimes it helps to see a numerical example.

EDIT: Yeah, you posted again with the right answer while I was typing. Nice work.

:smile:

thank you for the help :)

Related to Solving Math Mistake: What's Wrong with \frac{m}{M+m}?

1. What is the mistake in the equation \frac{m}{M+m}?

The mistake in this equation is that the variable m is being divided by the sum of M and m instead of just M. This is known as a mathematical error or mistake.

2. How can this mistake be solved?

The mistake can be solved by simplifying the expression to \frac{m}{M+m} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{M}}. This shows that the original equation is equivalent to \frac{1}{\frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{M}}.

3. What is the correct way to write this equation?

The correct way to write this equation is \frac{m}{M} instead of \frac{m}{M+m}. This is because m is only being divided by M, not the sum of M and m.

4. How can I avoid making this mistake in the future?

To avoid making this mistake in the future, it is important to carefully check the variables and their operations before solving a math problem. It can also be helpful to write out the steps of the problem and double check the final answer for accuracy.

5. What are some common mistakes similar to this one?

Some common mistakes similar to this one include dividing by the wrong number, forgetting to apply the correct order of operations, and mixing up variables in complex equations. It is important to be aware of these possible errors and to double check all steps and calculations to ensure accuracy.