Solving Math Homework with a Parent's Help

In summary, the conversation is about a person being asked to solve a math problem by their son, but they are unable to due to not remembering high school math. The person also asks for the image to be uploaded to a free hosting site so they can view it, and suggests using a theorem related to angles on a circle to solve the problem.
Proclivitas

Homework Statement

MT9bx.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't for me, my son asked me to solve this, and I don't remember high school math, seeing that it isn't my field of study.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you reupload the image to a free image hosting site (http://imgur.com/, imageshack.us, etc)? I can't view that image as I'm not a member of Math Help Forum.

scurty said:
Can you reupload the image to a free image hosting site (http://imgur.com/, imageshack.us, etc)? I can't view that image as I'm not a member of Math Help Forum.

MT9bx.png

Use the theorem that states that the measure of an angle, having vertex on the circumference of a circle, is half the measure of the arc subtended by the angle.

Related to Solving Math Homework with a Parent's Help

1. How can a parent effectively help their child with math homework?

Parents can effectively help their child with math homework by first understanding the concepts and methods their child is learning. This can be achieved by communicating with the child's teacher and reviewing the school's curriculum. Additionally, parents can use everyday situations to practice math skills with their child and provide guidance and support when needed.

2. What are some common mistakes parents make when helping their child with math homework?

One common mistake parents make is rushing through the homework without fully understanding the concepts themselves. This can lead to confusion and frustration for both the parent and the child. Another mistake is providing the answers without allowing the child to figure out the problem on their own. It is important for parents to guide and support their child, but not to do the work for them.

3. Should parents use the same methods and strategies they learned in school when helping their child with math homework?

It can be helpful for parents to use the same methods and strategies they learned in school when helping their child with math homework. However, it is also important for parents to be open to new methods and strategies that may be more effective for their child. Every child learns differently, so it is important to find what works best for them.

4. How can parents make math homework more fun and engaging for their child?

To make math homework more fun and engaging, parents can incorporate hands-on activities, games, and real-life examples into the homework. This can help make the concepts more relatable and interesting for the child. Parents can also offer incentives or rewards for completing the homework, such as a special activity or treat.

5. What should parents do if they are unable to help their child with a specific math problem?

If a parent is unable to help their child with a specific math problem, they can reach out to the child's teacher for assistance. The teacher can provide additional resources or explain the concept in a different way. Parents can also consider hiring a tutor or seeking help from online resources. It is important for parents to communicate with their child's teacher and seek support when needed.