Solving Masses & Friction on an Inclined Plane

In summary: He should have used (-9x0.1622) in place of (9x0.1622). This results in a different answer, which is 0.29N.
madeeeeee
1. Homework Statement [/b]

Objects of masses m1 = 4.00 kg and m2 = 9.00 kg are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley as in the figure below. The object m1 is held at rest on the floor, and m2 rests on a fixed incline of θ = 42.0°. The objects are released from rest, and m2 slides 1.50 m down the slope of the incline in 4.30 s.

a) (a) Determine the acceleration of each object. (Enter the magnitude only.)
____________- m/s2

(b) Determine the tension in the string. (Enter the magnitude only.)
______________ N

(c) Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between m2 and the incline.

my attempt
This was right
a) a=2(x)/(t)^2
a=2(1.5)/(4.3)^2
=0.16m/s^2

b) Ftension=m1(a) + m1(g)
=4(0.162)+4(9.8) = 39.848

It says this is wrong

c) u=m2(g)sin(theta)-m2(a)-(m1)(g)-(m2)(a) / (m2)(g)cos(theta)
= (9)(9.8)sin42-(4)(0.1622)-(4)(9.8)-(9)(0.1622) / (9)(9.8)cos42
=59.017-0.6488-39.2/65.55
=0.29

It says this is wrong to...

PLEASE HELP! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!

Physics news on Phys.org

It appears your method is correct. It's probably just rounding and sig figs.

madeeeeee said:
c) u=m2(g)sin(theta)-m2(a)-(m1)(g)-(m2)(a) / (m2)(g)cos(theta)
= (9)(9.8)sin42-(4)(0.1622)-(4)(9.8)-(9)(0.1622) / (9)(9.8)cos42
=59.017-0.6488-39.2/65.55
=0.29

I think that (a) and (b) are correct.
But there is a mistake in (c). The underlined part must be removed.
If a FREE BODY DIAGRAM for mass m2 is drawn, this mass 'sees' only the pull of the Earth, the tension, the frictional force and the normal reaction of the inclined plane. m2 does not 'see' the weight of m1.

it still says that my b value is wrong :(

I actually wrote the formula wrong for that but I put in the right values so it was supposed to look like.
u=m2gsintheta-m1a-m1g-m2a/m2gcostheta
= (9)(9.8)sin42-(4)(0.1622)-(4)(9.8)-(9)(0.1622)/(9)(9.8)cos42
=59.0173--1.46025-39.2/65.55
=0.29

The formula should be right now but I am still getting the wrong answer

Did you do the calculations carefully, taking into account significant figures? For b, you should have
[tex]F_T = m_1(a+g) = m_1\left(\frac{2x}{t^2}+g\right) = (4.00~\mathrm{kg})\left[\frac{2(1.50~\mathrm{m})}{(4.30~\mathrm{s})^2}+9.81~\mathrm{m/s}^2\right][/tex]Note that all of the quantities you're given have three significant figures, so you want to use a value of g that also has at least three significant figures. If you plug this into the calculator, you get a numerical answer like 39.88899946, which gives you a final answer of 39.9 N to three sig figs.

grzz said:
I think that (a) and (b) are correct.
But there is a mistake in (c). The underlined part must be removed.
If a FREE BODY DIAGRAM for mass m2 is drawn, this mass 'sees' only the pull of the Earth, the tension, the frictional force and the normal reaction of the inclined plane. m2 does not 'see' the weight of m1.

I am correcting my own post.

The underlined part is not to be removed because IT IS CORRECT. I am sorry if I caused trouble to the original poster.

The original poster did a small mistake. he did not enter (-9x0.1622) into the calculation in the next step.

Related to Solving Masses & Friction on an Inclined Plane

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface set at an angle, which is often used to make it easier to lift heavy objects.

How do you calculate the mass of an object on an inclined plane?

The mass of an object on an inclined plane can be calculated by using the formula: mass = force / acceleration due to gravity. This means that you need to know the force acting on the object and the acceleration due to gravity at that location.

What is the role of friction on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object. On an inclined plane, friction can either help or hinder the object's motion depending on its direction. If the direction of the friction force is up the incline, it will oppose the motion and make it more difficult to move the object. If the direction of the friction force is down the incline, it will assist the motion and make it easier to move the object.

How can you decrease friction on an inclined plane?

There are a few ways to decrease friction on an inclined plane. One method is to use a lubricant, such as oil or grease, which reduces the contact between the two surfaces and decreases friction. Another method is to use a smoother surface for the inclined plane, such as a polished metal surface, which also reduces the amount of friction.

How does the angle of the incline affect the mass and friction on an inclined plane?

The angle of the incline can affect the mass and friction on an inclined plane in several ways. As the angle of the incline increases, the mass of the object will appear to increase, making it more difficult to move. Additionally, as the angle of the incline increases, the force of friction also increases, making it more difficult to overcome and move the object.