Solving Mass of 2nd Disk with Angular Momentum

In summary, a solid disk of radius R and mass 2.74 kg spinning at angular velocity 61.1 rpm drops a second solid disk of radius 2R concentrically, and the two disks eventually end up spinning at 24.7 rpm. Using the equation I1*w1 = (I1 + I2)*wf and the conservation of angular momentum, the mass of the second disk can be calculated without using the value of g.
map7s

Homework Statement

NOTE: Use g=9.809 m/s^2
A solid disk of radius R and mass 2.74 kg is spinning at angular velocity 61.1 rpm about a vertical axis. A solid disk of radius 2R drops concentrically on the first (sort of like dropping an old-fashioned 33 rpm record on a 45 rpm one), so that eventually the two cease to slip relative to each other and end up spinning at 24.7 rpm. What is the mass of the second disk?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2 mv^2 + 1/2 Iw^2 = 1/2 mv^2 (1+(I/(mr^2)))

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there another equation that is supposed to be used to solve this problem? Because I thought that this would be the only equation (where I have initial equal to final according to the conservation of energy), but, at the beginning, they hint that I need to use a value of g.
Then I started thinking about the conservation of angular momentum, which had the equation alpha=mgr / (I+mr^2), where I would have to use the value of g and I could set it up as intial equal to final. However, this setup did not work either.
Another possibility could be that I am just plugging in the wrong numbers. For the inital mass I am plugging in the first mass that is mentioned and the final mass is the two masses added together, but solving for the second mass. Initial velocity is 61.1 m/s and final velocity is 49.4 m/s (v=rw). (I=1/2 mr^2). inital radius is 1 and final radius is 2...can you please help me figure out where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case angular momentum is conserved, not rotational kinetic energy. Find the angular momentum of the first disk and equate it to the combined angular momentum of the two disks combined.

okay...so where would I incorporate g if angular momentum = Iw^2 ?

You may not need "g". Does it bother you very much if you get the correct solution without using "g"?
angular momentum = Iw^2 ? -- It is wrong, dimensionally or otherwise!

Last edited:
oh sorry! I meant L=Iw

okay... so I set it up as Iw=Iw...number-wise it's 1/2 mr^2*w= 1/2 mr^2*w...or 1/2(2.74)(1)^2(61.1)=1/2(2.74+x)(2)^2(24.7)...but the answer that I am getting for 2.74+x is not larger than 2.74...so if I subtract it, I will get a negative number...what am I doing wrong?

map7s said:
okay... so I set it up as Iw=Iw...number-wise it's 1/2 mr^2*w= 1/2 mr^2*w...or 1/2(2.74)(1)^2(61.1)=1/2(2.74+x)(2)^2(24.7)...but the answer that I am getting for 2.74+x is not larger than 2.74...so if I subtract it, I will get a negative number...what am I doing wrong?

Use I1*w1 = (I1 + I2)*wf.
Note that for I1 radius is R; for I2 radius is 2R.

oh...okay...thank you so much!

Related to Solving Mass of 2nd Disk with Angular Momentum

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

2. How does angular momentum relate to the mass of a disk?

The mass of a disk is one of the factors that determines its moment of inertia, which is a crucial component in calculating its angular momentum. The larger the mass of a disk, the greater its moment of inertia and angular momentum will be.

3. What is the formula for solving the mass of a 2nd disk with angular momentum?

The formula for solving the mass of a 2nd disk with angular momentum is: M2 = (I1 * ω1) / (I2 * ω2), where M2 is the mass of the second disk, I1 and ω1 are the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the first disk, and I2 and ω2 are the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the second disk.

4. Can angular momentum be conserved in a system with multiple disks?

Yes, angular momentum can be conserved in a system with multiple disks as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

5. How can solving the mass of a 2nd disk with angular momentum be applied in real-world scenarios?

Calculating the mass of a 2nd disk with angular momentum can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as designing and building rotating machinery, analyzing the motion of planets and satellites, and understanding the behavior of spinning objects in sports and games.