Solving Lorentz Transform problem using only length contraction

In summary: You can use length contraction to find x_F, but how do you find t_F?You can use the fact that the speed of light is constant, c, to find t_F, but how do you find x_F?In summary, the traveler sets up a coordinate system S' in their rocket, with the origin at the middle of the rocket and the x' axis along its length. They ignite a flashbulb at the origin and record the coordinates of the light's arrival at the front and back of the rocket. In a frame S where the rocket is traveling at speed v, the Lorentz transformation can be used to find the coordinates of the arrival of the light. To solve for these coordinates without using the Lore
Tubefox

Homework Statement

A traveler in a rocket of length 2d sets up a coordinate system S' with origin O' anchored at the exact middle of the rocket and the x' axis along the rocket’s length. At t' = 0 she ignites a flashbulb at O'. (a) Write down the coordinates t'_F, x'_F, and t'_B, x'_B for the arrival of the light at the front and back of the rocket. (b) Now consider the same experiment as observed in a frame S relative to which the rocket is traveling at speed v (with S and S' arranged in the standard configuration). Use the Lorentz transformation to find the coordinates xF , t_F and xB , tB of the arrival of the two signals.

(This is the part my question is on) Repeat but do not use Lorentz transformation, just use length contraction and the fact that the speed of light is the same in every reference frame. Follow these steps:

1) Sketch the contracted rocket in the S frame at t=0. It moves with speed v.

(I did this.)

2) Write a formula for the time tF when the front of the rocket gets to xF

3) Write a formula for the time tF when the light gets to xF

4) Equate (2) and (3) to solve for xF and tF

5) Repeat for xB and tB

Homework Equations

[itex]L = \frac{L_0}{\gamma}[/itex]
[itex]x=\gamma(x' + vt')[/itex]
[itex]t=\gamma(t' + \frac{vx'}{c^2})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the prime frame measurements:

[itex]x'_F=d \\
t'_F = \frac{d}{c}\\
x'_B = -d\\
t'_B= \frac{d}{c}[/itex]

And according to the Lorentz transform equations, here's what we have for S:

[itex]x_F=\gamma d (1+\frac{v}{c})\\
t_F=\frac{\gamma d}{c}(1+\frac{v}{c})\\
x_B=\gamma d(\frac{v}{c}-1)\\
t_B=\frac{\gamma d}{c}(1-\frac{v}{c})[/itex]

That's all fine. The issue arises when I try to follow the procedure outlined in the problem statement. It appears to be nonsense. Why would it take the same amount of time for the rocket to get to [itex]x_F[/itex] as it would for the light to get to [itex]x_F[/itex]? Even so, how can I solve for two unknowns based on one equation? Could someone, at the very least, clarify the wording a little bit?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tubefox said:
That's all fine. The issue arises when I try to follow the procedure outlined in the problem statement. It appears to be nonsense. Why would it take the same amount of time for the rocket to get to [itex]x_F[/itex] as it would for the light to get to [itex]x_F[/itex]?
I assume that's a typo. I think you meant the front and back of the ship.

In any case, why do you think it would take the same amount of time for the light to reach the front and back of the ship as seen from the S frame? Where's your analysis using length contraction only?

Doc Al said:
I assume that's a typo. I think you meant the front and back of the ship.

In any case, why do you think it would take the same amount of time for the light to reach the front and back of the ship as seen from the S frame? Where's your analysis using length contraction only?

No, that is not a typo. At least not on my part.

Where is the front of the rocket after a time t?
Where is the light sent towards the front after time t?
What relation must be satisfied for the time when the light hits the front of the rocket?

Orodruin said:
Where is the front of the rocket after a time t?
[itex]x_F[/itex]

Where is the light sent towards the front after time t?
Says right there in the procedure that it's at [itex]x_F[/itex]

What relation must be satisfied for the time when the light hits the front of the rocket?
It's equal to the time it takes the front of the rocket to reach [itex]x_F[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
You misunderstand me. Those are questions I want you to answer by giving expressions in terms of d, c, t and v.

Edit: Without using Lorentz transformations, only referring to length contraction and the speed of light being constant.

Edit 2: And the reason the light takes the same time to reach ##x_F## as the front takes is because it is defined as the point where the light catches up ...

Tubefox said:
No, that is not a typo. At least not on my part.
Ah, I misread what you had written.
Tubefox said:
Why would it take the same amount of time for the rocket to get to [itex]x_F[/itex] as it would for the light to get to [itex]x_F[/itex]?
By definition, [itex]x_F[/itex] is the location of the event "light reaches front of rocket". So of course the front of the rocket and the light must be at the same location when the light reaches that point.

Tubefox said:
That's all fine. The issue arises when I try to follow the procedure outlined in the problem statement. It appears to be nonsense. Why would it take the same amount of time for the rocket to get to [itex]x_F[/itex] as it would for the light to get to [itex]x_F[/itex]?
Thanks.

Where does it say that ?

Tubefox said:
[itex]x_F[/itex]
Ah, so you're done? The answer is [itex]x_F[/itex] and [itex]t_F[/itex]? :smile:

Seriously, you must solve for those coordinates in terms of the given parameters (d, v, c).

Related to Solving Lorentz Transform problem using only length contraction

What is the Lorentz Transform problem?

The Lorentz Transform problem is a mathematical concept in special relativity that describes the relationship between space and time for observers in different reference frames.

Why is it important to use only length contraction in solving the Lorentz Transform problem?

Using only length contraction allows us to understand the effects of relativity without introducing additional factors such as time dilation. This simplifies the problem and helps us focus on the fundamental principles of the Lorentz Transform.

How can length contraction be used to solve the Lorentz Transform problem?

Length contraction can be used to calculate the change in length of an object as observed by an observer in a different reference frame. This change in length is a crucial factor in the Lorentz Transform problem.

What is the formula for calculating length contraction in the Lorentz Transform problem?

The formula for length contraction is L = L₀/γ, where L is the contracted length, L₀ is the original length, and γ is the Lorentz factor, which is dependent on the relative velocity between the two reference frames.

How does solving the Lorentz Transform problem using only length contraction help us understand relativity?

Solving the Lorentz Transform problem using only length contraction helps us understand the concept of relativity by showing us how the perception of space and time can vary for observers in different reference frames. It also highlights the importance of considering the effects of motion and the limitations of our perception of the universe.