Solving Log Equations (Different Bases)

• Thread starter MPQC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bases Log
In summary, the equation 2(3^x) = 7(5^x) can be solved by taking the logarithm of both sides and using logarithm properties to simplify. By dividing both sides by 7 and 3^x, the equation can be rewritten as (5/3)^x = 2/7. Taking the logarithm again, the value of x can be found by dividing the logarithm of 2/7 by the logarithm of 5/3.
MPQC

Homework Statement

Only the equation: 2(3^x) = 7(5^x)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay. I've been fine learning the loglaws, until I hit this question. If they were the same base (or at least near the same, ex: 2 & 8) then I could simply change them into the same base, and proceed. But I can't do that for this question - neither can I just throw "log" it all. (Though that's my solution for now - I'm really not sure how I should proceed.)

So here's what I've tried:

2(3^x) = 7(5^x)
log (2(3^x)) = log (7(5^x))
x log (2(3)) = x log (7(5))
x log (6) = x log (35)
x = x ( log (35) / log (6) )
x = 1.98x

Well that doesn't work out too well.. I've tried googling the answer - but all I get is examples with the same base, or a base that I can change to make them the same. So how could I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
from here

log (2(3^x)) = log (7(5^x))

the next line should be

lg2+lg3x=lg7+lg5x

Thanks so much. I had learned to put them together, but the thought of splitting them back up never occurred.

The crucial point is that [itex]2(3^x)[/itex] is NOT [itex](2(3))^x[/itex] so that [itex]ln(2(3^x)[/itex] is NOT x ln(2(3)).

Here's an alternate solution:
2(3^x)=7(5^x)
2/7=(5^x)/(3^x) Divide both sides by 7 and by 3^x
2/7=(5/3)^x
log(2/7)=log((5/3)^x)
log(2/7)=x log(5/3)
log(2/7)/log(5/3)=x

Last edited:

Related to Solving Log Equations (Different Bases)

1. What is a logarithm and how does it relate to solving equations?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It helps us solve equations where an unknown variable appears as an exponent. By taking the logarithm of both sides of an equation, we can solve for the variable.

2. Can I use any base for solving logarithmic equations?

Yes, you can use any base as long as it is consistent on both sides of the equation. For example, if one side of the equation is in base 2, then the other side must also be in base 2.

3. How do I solve a logarithmic equation with different bases?

To solve a logarithmic equation with different bases, you can use the change of base formula, which states that logb(x) = loga(x) / loga(b). This allows you to convert the equation to a base that you are comfortable working with.

4. Are there any restrictions when solving logarithmic equations?

Yes, there are a few restrictions to keep in mind. The argument (input) of a logarithm must always be positive, so any values that make the argument negative or zero are not valid. Additionally, the base of a logarithm must be greater than 0 and not equal to 1.

5. Can I check my solution to a logarithmic equation?

Yes, you can always check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If the solution does not satisfy the equation, then it is not a valid solution.