Solving LO DGLAP Evolution: Defining F and Physical Meaning

• I
  • Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In other words, they describe how the parton distribution functions evolve as we increase the value of the momentum transfer scale ##\mu^2##.
CAF123
Gold Member
Consider the leading-order (LO) DGLAP ((Dokshitzer–Gribov–Lipatov–Altarelli–Parisi) equation $$x \mu^2 \frac{d xg(x,\mu^2)}{d\mu^2}= \alpha_s \int_x^1 dz P_{gg}(z) \frac{x}{z} g(\frac{x}{z}, \mu^2) + \dots\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(1) $$

Define an unintegrated parton density function (PDF) by $$F(x,\mu^2) \equiv x \frac{dg(x,\mu^2)}{d\mu^2},$$ with the initial condition $$\mu^2 F^{(0)}(x,\mu^2) = \theta(1-x) \theta \left(\frac{\mu^2}{Q_o^2}-1\right),\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(2)$$ where ##Q_o## is some non perturbative scale. The first order contribution to ##F## is then given by inserting (2) into (1) so that $$\mu^2 F^{(1)}(x,\mu^2) \approx \int_x^1 dz P_{gg}(z) \int_{Q_o^2}^{\mu^2} dk^2 \alpha_s(k^2) F^{(0)}(\frac{x}{z}, k^2)$$

My questions are

1)From the definition of ##F## it follows that $$g(x,\mu^2) = x^{-1} \int^{\mu^2} dk^2 F(x,k^2)$$ so I can see how the integral in the last display arises but what I don't see is why does this correspond to the first order contribution to ##F##? Doesn't equation (1) tell us that the evolution of the LO gluon PDF is given by the integral convolution of the LO splitting function kernels with the LO gluon PDF itself? So where does next-leading order (NLO) effects, i.e that suggested by 'first order in ##F##' arise?

2)What are the physical meanings of the ##F^{(i)}##? Are these defined through some expansion and, if so, what is this expansion in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!1) The LO DGLAP equation tells us that the evolution of the LO gluon PDF is given by the integral convolution of the LO splitting function kernels with the LO gluon PDF itself. This means that the first order contribution to the gluon PDF comes from the integral convolution of the LO splitting function kernels with the LO gluon PDF, and this is what is described by the integral in the last display. The next-leading order (NLO) effects arise from the terms beyond the LO gluon PDF, which are included in the definition of ##F^{(1)}##.2) The ##F^{(i)}## are defined through an expansion in powers of the strong coupling constant ##\alpha_s##. The physical meaning of these functions is that they give the rate of change of the parton distribution functions due to quantum corrections.

Related to Solving LO DGLAP Evolution: Defining F and Physical Meaning

1. What is LO DGLAP evolution and why is it important in science?

LO DGLAP evolution is a mathematical framework that describes the behavior of parton distributions in high-energy collisions. It is important in science because it helps us understand the structure of matter and the interactions between particles.

2. How is F defined in LO DGLAP evolution?

F is defined as the fragmentation function, which represents the probability of a parton fragmenting into a hadron. It is a fundamental quantity in the LO DGLAP evolution equation and is crucial in understanding the production of particles in high-energy processes.

3. What is the physical meaning of F in LO DGLAP evolution?

The physical meaning of F is the distribution of hadrons produced from the fragmentation of a particular parton. This distribution is influenced by the momentum and energy of the parton, as well as the strong interaction between particles.

4. How is LO DGLAP evolution solved?

LO DGLAP evolution is solved through numerical methods, such as Monte Carlo simulations, which use random sampling to approximate the solution. The equations are also solved analytically for simplified scenarios, but numerical methods are necessary for more complex systems.

5. What are the implications of solving LO DGLAP evolution?

Solving LO DGLAP evolution has many implications in particle physics and high-energy collisions. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of parton distributions and hadron production, which can be tested through experiments. It also helps us understand the underlying fundamental interactions of matter and energy.