Solving Linear Motion from Voltage and PE/KE

In summary, voltage can be harnessed to solve for linear motion by creating a flow of electrons in a circuit, which can be used to calculate velocity and acceleration. In linear motion, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and the total energy of the object is the sum of these two forms. The velocity of an object can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, and voltage can also be used to determine the acceleration of the object. However, there are limitations to using voltage, such as the potential impact of external factors and the need to consider other factors in addition to voltage for a complete understanding of the motion.
boogiebear

Homework Statement

So I suck at physics, especially when it comes to going from one thing to another, in this case Voltage and PE/KE to linear motion. Anyways here's the question, any hints as to how I should go about to solve it would be much appreciated

A point charge of -10nC is at the origin. Points A and B are respectively 10 and 20 cm away from the point charge (to the right of the charge). The problem first asks for V each at pts A and B, then Delta V between points A and B, then the potential energy each at A and B. The main part of the question I'm having trouble with is as follows:

part d. Calculate the speed at point B of a proton that was moving to the right at point A with a speed of 8 x 10^5 m/s

So i know that change in voltage and change in PE is positive, and that since the point charge is negative the proton slows down as it moves toward point B. However, I'm not too sure where to go from here. So would the increase in PE translate to a decrease in KE??

Homework Equations

KE = .5mv^2
PE = (k * q1 * q2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

PE at A = (8.99E9)(-10E-9)(1.6E-19)/(.1)
PE at B = (8.99E9)(-10E-9)(1.6E-19)/(.2)

(PE at B) - (PE at A) = 7.19E-17 Joules

Then I subtracted the number I found above from the initial kinetic energy of the moving proton to find KE at point B and solved for Velocity which came out to around 7.44E5 m/s but I have a feeling that this is the wrong answer

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this physics question. It seems like you have made a good start on solving the problem by calculating the potential energy at points A and B. You are correct that the increase in PE would translate to a decrease in KE for the proton as it moves towards point B.

To calculate the speed at point B, you can use the conservation of energy principle. This states that the total energy of a system (in this case, the proton) remains constant, so the initial kinetic energy at point A should be equal to the final kinetic energy at point B, plus any change in potential energy.

So, using the equation for conservation of energy:

KE initial + PE initial = KE final + PE final

Substituting in the values you have calculated for PE at points A and B, and the initial speed of the proton, we get:

(.5mv^2)initial + (PE at A) = (.5mv^2)final + (PE at B)

Rearranging the equation, we can solve for the final velocity at point B:

(.5mv^2)final = (.5mv^2)initial + (PE at B) - (PE at A)

v^2 final = (v^2 initial) + 2(PE at B - PE at A)/m

v final = √[(v^2 initial) + 2(PE at B - PE at A)/m]

Plugging in the values you have calculated, we get:

v final = √[(8 x 10^5 m/s)^2 + 2(7.19E-17 J)/1.67 x 10^-27 kg]

v final = 7.44 x 10^5 m/s

So, it seems like you were on the right track with your calculation, but you may have made a small error in your final calculation. I hope this helps you understand how to approach the problem and get the correct answer. Keep up the good work!

Hello,

First of all, good job on attempting the problem! It seems like you have a good understanding of the equations and concepts involved. Let's break down the problem and see if we can find the correct solution.

We are given the initial velocity of the proton at point A, which is 8 x 10^5 m/s. We also know that the proton is moving towards the negative point charge, so as you mentioned, it will experience a decrease in kinetic energy and an increase in potential energy as it moves from point A to point B.

To solve for the speed at point B, we can use the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy (KE + PE) of a system remains constant. So, at point A, the total energy is equal to the initial kinetic energy of the proton, which is 0.5m(8 x 10^5)^2. At point B, the total energy is equal to the final kinetic energy of the proton plus the potential energy due to the negative point charge.

So we can set up the equation as follows:

0.5m(8 x 10^5)^2 = 0.5mv^2 + (8.99 x 10^9)(-10 x 10^-9)(1.6 x 10^-19)/0.2

Solving for v, we get v = 5.3 x 10^5 m/s. This is the speed of the proton at point B.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work!

Related to Solving Linear Motion from Voltage and PE/KE

1. How can voltage be used to solve for linear motion?

Voltage is a measure of electrical potential energy. When a voltage is applied to a circuit, it creates a flow of electrons which can be harnessed to perform work, such as moving an object along a linear path. By measuring the change in voltage over time, we can calculate the velocity and acceleration of the object, and therefore determine its linear motion.

2. What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy in linear motion?

In linear motion, potential energy (PE) is the stored energy that an object has due to its position or configuration. As the object moves, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy (KE), which is the energy of motion. The total energy of the object, known as mechanical energy, is the sum of its potential and kinetic energy.

3. How can we calculate the velocity of an object in linear motion using PE and KE?

The velocity of an object in linear motion can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2mv2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This equation relates the kinetic energy of the object to its mass and velocity. By measuring the change in potential energy and using conservation of energy principles, we can solve for the velocity of the object.

4. Can voltage be used to determine the acceleration of an object in linear motion?

Yes, voltage can be used to determine the acceleration of an object in linear motion. By measuring the change in voltage over time and using the equation a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time, we can calculate the acceleration of the object.

5. Are there any limitations to using voltage to solve for linear motion?

While voltage can provide valuable information about the linear motion of an object, there are some limitations to consider. For example, the accuracy of the measurements may be affected by external factors such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, voltage alone may not provide a complete understanding of the motion, and other factors such as force and displacement may also need to be considered.