Solving Line Integrals with Vector Cross Products

In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral involving a vector cross product with a given contour and field. The poster is unsure about the orientation of the contour and how it affects the solution. They provide a link to a physics forum thread where the problem is discussed and solved. The expert suggests that the orientation of the contour is determined by the direction in which it is traversed, and the sign of the vector product changes if the direction is reversed. They also note that the diagram provided by the poster is confusing as it suggests conflicting directions for the contour.
Bassalisk
I posted an actual problem in advanced physics but no answer so i will try to get an math part answer from it.

Suppose I have to solve this integral:

[itex] I=\int {\vec{dl} × \vec A } [/itex]

Where [itex] \vec A = -\frac {1}{x} \vec a_{z}[/itex]

So it has only a z component and I have to find the vector cross of the field with the contour depicted in the picture

http://pokit.org/get/img/7ea5523fdd63cfc5c9374a07f6ab8bb6.jpg First question:

For the part 3:

If I take that the [itex] \vec dl = - dy \vec {a_y} [/itex] will I integrate from b to c or from c to b?

In my intuition if I took the minus into the account in the differential there is no need for flipping the c and b, so we would integrate from c to b?

When you vector cross this all, there shouldn't be net y component am i right?

Link to thread in physics:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=630013

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I read this correctly you have [itex]\vec{A}= -(1/x)\vec{k}[/itex]. [itex]d\vec{r}= dx\vec{i}+ dy\vec{j}+ dz\vec{k}[/itex] and you should have no trouble finding the cross product of those.

But the exact contour is not clear. Are you saying that the entire contour lies in the xy-plane with z= 0? If so, then yes, [itex]d\vec{r}= (1/x)dy[/itex] and, if [itex]a= (x_1, y_x, 0)[/itex] and [itex]b= (x_2, y_2, 0)[/itex] then we can write the straight line from a to b as [itex]x= [(x_2- x_1)/(y_2- y_1)](y- y_1)+ x_1[/itex]. The integral would be
[tex]\int_{y_1}^{y_2}\frac{dy}{\frac{x_2- x_1}{y_2- y_1}(y- y_1)+ x_1}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
If I read this correctly you have [itex]\vec{A}= -(1/x)\vec{k}[/itex]. [itex]d\vec{r}= dx\vec{i}+ dy\vec{j}+ dz\vec{k}[/itex] and you should have no trouble finding the cross product of those.

But the exact contour is not clear. Are you saying that the entire contour lies in the xy-plane with z= 0? If so, then yes, [itex]d\vec{r}= (1/x)dy[/itex] and, if [itex]a= (x_1, y_x, 0)[/itex] and [itex]b= (x_2, y_2, 0)[/itex] then we can write the straight line from a to b as [itex]x= [(x_2- x_1)/(y_2- y_1)](y- y_1)+ x_1[/itex]. The integral would be
[tex]\int_{y_1}^{y_2}\frac{dy}{\frac{x_2- x_1}{y_2- y_1}(y- y_1)+ x_1}[/tex]

I think I understand.

But can you tell me how can "math" know how I orientated the contour?

Let me show you what I mean.

http://pokit.org/get/img/65e8ba92c1d00bf7fc8be2b178757ed8.jpg If you have a function like in our case for (2) [itex] y- \frac{c}{2}=\frac {c}{2b}(x-6b) [/itex] (a)

How does my equation knows how I orientated the curve? Do I have to manually account for this?

Because (a) is simply a line through 2 points. It does not contain any information about the orientation.

The line integral I have to solve is [itex] \vec F = I_{2} \int{\vec {dl} × \vec B} [/itex].

And the (3) is not giving me much problems. But (2) is because it has negative slope.

(This is from my EM problem, its a force on a wire problem, check the link provided in first post if you may)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bassalisk said:
But can you tell me how can "math" know how I orientated the contour?

It "knows" which way you go round the contour. If you change direction, the sign of the vector product changes.

IMO your diagram is confusing because without any text to explain it, the arrows on the lines suggest the contour is a - b - c - a, but the numbers 1, 2, 3 suggest the reverse direction, a - c - b - a.

AlephZero said:
It "knows" which way you go round the contour. If you change direction, the sign of the vector product changes.

IMO your diagram is confusing because without any text to explain it, the arrows on the lines suggest the contour is a - b - c - a, but the numbers 1, 2, 3 suggest the reverse direction, a - c - b - a.

You have arrow which orients the contour. The 1,2,3 are just there to point out that you should do the problem part by part.

Related to Solving Line Integrals with Vector Cross Products

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path. It takes into account the direction of movement along the curve and assigns different values to different segments of the curve.

What is the purpose of a line integral?

The purpose of a line integral is to help calculate the total value of a function along a given path. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating work done by a force, finding the mass of a wire, or determining the electric field along a specific path.

How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by dividing the given path into small segments, calculating the value of the function at each segment, and then summing up these values. This process is known as Riemann sum and as the number of segments approaches infinity, the accuracy of the line integral increases.

What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

The main difference between a line integral and a regular integral is that a line integral takes into account the direction of movement along the curve, while a regular integral does not. In other words, a line integral is calculated along a specific path, whereas a regular integral is calculated over a given interval.

In what fields of science are line integrals commonly used?

Line integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in applications involving vector fields, such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics. They are also used in computer graphics to calculate the movement of particles along a specific path.