Solving Line Breaking Issues in LATEX

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of line breaks and alignment in writing equations in LATEX. The individual should use \\ instead of \cap and consider using the align* environment to avoid equation numbers. They also suggest reading the User's Guide for the amsmath Package for more information.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I am writing a text in LATEX.
Since the equalities I wrote are longer than the paper's size, I tried to break the line as follows, but it failed.
[m]\begin{multline} [/m]
y'=y+4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t)y \Rightarrow y'=(1+ 4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t))y \cap
\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dt}=(1+ 4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t))y \cap
\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{y}=(1+ 4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t)) dt
[m]\end{multline} [/m]Why? What could I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably use [m]\\[/m] instead of [m]\cap[/m].

Personally, I think alignment works better here.

\begin{align}
&y'=y+4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t)y\\
&\quad\implies y'=(1+ 4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t))y\\
&\quad\implies \frac{dy}{dt}=(1+ 4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t))y\\
&\quad\implies \frac{dy}{y}=(1+ 4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t)) dt
\end{align}

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You should probably use [m]\\[/m] instead of [m]\cap[/m].

Yes, this would work...

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Personally, I think alignment works better here.

\begin{align}
&y'=y+4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t)y\\
&\quad\implies y'=(1+ 4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t))y\\
&\quad\implies \frac{dy}{dt}=(1+ 4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t))y\\
&\quad\implies \frac{dy}{y}=(1+ 4 \pi \cos(4 \pi t)) dt
\end{align}

I tried it and I got this:
View attachment 4214Why do the numbers appear at the right side of each equality? How could we get rid of them?

Attachments

• homework_handout (1).pdf
    52.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
To avoid equation numbers, use the environment [m]align*[/m] instead of [m]align[/m]. There is also an analogous [m]aligned[/m] environment that does not occupy the whole width of the line and can be used as a subformula in other formulas. You can read about these environments in the User’s Guide for the amsmath Package (search for it).

Related to Solving Line Breaking Issues in LATEX

1. What are line breaking issues in LATEX?

Line breaking issues in LATEX refer to the difficulties encountered when formatting text and equations in a document. These issues can result in awkward spacing, overfull or underfull lines, and uneven alignment.

2. How can I prevent line breaking issues in LATEX?

To prevent line breaking issues, it is important to use proper formatting techniques. This includes using hyphenation, adjusting spacing and margins, and using line breaks and page breaks effectively. It is also helpful to use the appropriate document class and packages for your specific needs.

3. What is the role of the "linebreak" command in LATEX?

The "linebreak" command in LATEX is used to force a line break at a specific point in the text. This can be helpful in preventing overfull or underfull lines, but should be used sparingly and only when necessary.

4. How can I fix an overfull or underfull line in LATEX?

If you encounter an overfull or underfull line in LATEX, you can try adjusting the spacing and margins, using the "linebreak" command, or manually breaking the line using the "\\" command. If these methods do not work, you may need to rephrase the text or split it into multiple lines.

5. Are there any tools or packages that can help with line breaking issues in LATEX?

Yes, there are several packages that can help with line breaking issues, such as microtype, parskip, and ragged2e. These packages provide additional formatting options and can improve the overall appearance of your document. It is important to carefully read the documentation and use these packages with caution to avoid any unintended consequences.