Solving Limiting Reactions: O2 + 2NO2-->2NO2

• Thread starter megas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the question asks for the amount of 2NO2, the limiting reaction and amount left, after 10.00 g of O2 and 20 g of NO2 are mixed together. The main problem is that you will have to find which reactant is excess, so the other will be the limiting reagent. To find this, you'll use mole calculations.
megas
LIMITING reactions(please help me! (is it that hard?)NEED A CHALLENGE?

hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me out with my chemistry 1 stuff. The proffessor isn't explaining it very well to me. so...well, here's the question, i need help with limiting reactions, O2 + 2No2-->2NO2, if they gave me 10.00g of 02, and 20g of 2NO2 what is the amount of 2NO2, the limiting reaction and amount left? i could use the answere, but i would really like to know how to do it thanks

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The main problem is that you will have to find which reactant is excess, so the other will be the limiting reagent. To find this, you'll use mole calculations. Which one is excess, 10.00 g of O2 or 20 g of NO2? You can use O=16 and N=14 g/mole.

megas said:
hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me out with my chemistry 1 stuff. The proffessor isn't explaining it very well to me. so...well, here's the question, i need help with limiting reactions, O2 + 2No2-->2NO2, if they gave me 10.00g of 02, and 20g of 2NO2 what is the amount of 2NO2, the limiting reaction and amount left? i could use the answere, but i would really like to know how to do it thanks
Make sure the equation you provide is correct. In this case it is not. You have NO2 as a reactant and product.

sorry

the right formula is O2 + No2 -> 2No2,.. ok thanks i get it now, lol, (dragonball Z rules) :smile:

No, this is incorrect either. Please take a good look at your reaction; on the left, you have three oxygens and one nitrogen, but on the right, you have two nitrogens and four oxygens.

I bet the reaction should be like this:

[tex]O_2 + 2NO \longrightarrow 2NO_2[/tex]

sorry chem_tr is right! (allways right) well, I am sorry for the mix up, my first time posting. thanks for catching that chem!

chem_tr said:
The main problem is that you will have to find which reactant is excess, so the other will be the limiting reagent. To find this, you'll use mole calculations. Which one is excess, 10.00 g of O2 or 20 g of NO2? You can use O=16 and N=14 g/mole.
I first learned to do these by looking for how much of B you would need to react with the given amount of A, then decide which of the reactants is in excess then do the calculation through. I later found out that it was a lot easier and faster to just do the entire calculation through for each of the reactants separately then use whichever value gives the lowest yield. Takes a lot less thinking so it's less prone to errors. :smile:

Yeah, this is a nice approach indeed. Thank you for reminding this.

ok thanks so much for your help guys! until next time =)

Related to Solving Limiting Reactions: O2 + 2NO2-->2NO2

1. What is a limiting reaction?

A limiting reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which one reactant is consumed completely, limiting the amount of product that can be formed. This means that the reaction cannot continue once the limiting reactant has been used up.

2. How do you determine the limiting reactant in a chemical reaction?

To determine the limiting reactant, you must first write out a balanced chemical equation and then calculate the moles of each reactant present. The reactant with the smallest number of moles is the limiting reactant.

3. How do you solve for the amount of product formed in a limiting reaction?

To solve for the amount of product formed in a limiting reaction, you must use the amount of limiting reactant present and the mole ratio between the limiting reactant and the product. This will give you the theoretical yield of the product.

4. Can the limiting reactant change in a reaction?

No, the limiting reactant cannot change in a reaction. It is determined by the initial amounts of reactants present and remains constant throughout the reaction.

5. What happens to the excess reactant in a limiting reaction?

The excess reactant is not completely used up and remains present in the reaction mixture. It does not contribute to the formation of additional product and is typically removed during the purification process.