Solving Light Lens Problems: Find Position & Magnification

In summary, The conversation discusses two questions related to the position and magnification of an image produced by a convex lens. The first question involves an object placed 30.0cm from a lens with a focal length of 10.0cm, while the second question involves an object placed 20.0cm from a lens with a focal length of 30.0cm. The conversation suggests using ray diagrams or the lens formula (1/u + 1/v = 1/f) to solve these problems. The individual responding to the questions also mentions that they are currently in high school and working on similar problems involving multiple mirrors and lenses. The final answers for the two questions are I=15 cm and M=1/2 x
charng
I have two questions that i couldn't do, it aint that hard:

1.An object is placed 30.0cm from a convex lens of f=10.0cm. Find the position and the magnification of an image. (f = focal length)

An object is placed 20.0cm from a convex lens of f=30.0cm. Find the position and the magnifying factor of an image.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can draw ray diagrams to help you, or use the lens formula (1/u + 1/v = 1/f) if you've learned it.

You also posted this in the "General Physics" section where I responded. Please do not multi-post!

I attached the file with the answers...

This really isn't a problem that should require help... nor be in the college level help section. I am currenty in my junior year of high school and we are currently doing 4 and 5 mirror and lens combo problems.http://www.quantumninja.com/random/lens.jpg

The actual calculations are based upon 1/o+1/i=1/f
and Mag=-i/o

The final answers I believe came out to be I=15 cms M=1/2 x for problem one and I=-60 cm M=3x for problem 2

Last edited:

Related to Solving Light Lens Problems: Find Position & Magnification

1. How do I find the position of an object using a light lens?

The position of an object can be found by using the lens equation, which is given by 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the object distance, i is the image distance, and f is the focal length of the lens. Rearranging the equation to solve for i, we get 1/i = 1/f - 1/o. Once you have the values for f and o, you can plug them into the equation to find the image distance i.

2. How do I determine the magnification of an object using a light lens?

The magnification of an object can be found using the formula m = -i/o, where m is the magnification, i is the image distance, and o is the object distance. This formula takes into account the inverted nature of images formed by lenses. A positive value for m indicates an upright image, while a negative value indicates an inverted image.

3. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, allowing the image to be projected onto a screen. This type of image is formed by convex lenses and concave mirrors. On the other hand, a virtual image is formed when light rays only appear to converge at a point, but do not actually do so. This type of image is formed by concave lenses and convex mirrors.

4. Can a light lens produce an image that is the same size as the object?

Yes, a light lens can produce an image that is the same size as the object. This occurs when the object is placed at a distance equal to twice the focal length of the lens. In this case, the image distance will also be equal to twice the focal length, resulting in a magnification of m = -1.

5. How can I use light lenses to correct vision problems?

Light lenses are commonly used in eyeglasses and contact lenses to correct vision problems. Convex lenses are used to correct hyperopia (farsightedness), while concave lenses are used to correct myopia (nearsightedness). These lenses work by bending the light rays as they enter the eye, helping to focus the image on the retina and improving vision.