Solving Latex Alignment Problem

In summary: Also, make sure that all of your equations are enclosed in the \begin{align} and \end{align} tags, as shown in the example above. In summary, make sure to include the AMS-LaTeX package and use the correct tags for the "align" environment in order for it to work properly.
norak
Hi guys, I want to write up some math and have the following code:

\begin{align}
L_{A}(s)&=V(A,0)-V(A,s) \\
&=\int_{t=A}^{T(A)+A-\alpha S_{A}}e^{-r(t-A)}W_{t}dt - \int_{t=A}^{T(A)+A-\alpha (S_{A}+s)}e^{-r(t-A)}W_{t}dt \\
&=\int^{T(A)+A-\alpha S_{A}}_{T(A)+A-\alpha(S_{A}+s)}e^{-r(t-A)W_{t}dt}
\end{align}

Now using Physics Forum's inbuilt Latex thingy the following appears:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
L_{A}(s)&=V(A,0)-V(A,s) \\
&=\int_{t=A}^{T(A)+A-\alpha S_{A}}e^{-r(t-A)}W_{t}dt - \int_{t=A}^{T(A)+A-\alpha (S_{A}+s)}e^{-r(t-A)}W_{t}dt \\
&=\int^{T(A)+A-\alpha S_{A}}_{T(A)+A-\alpha(S_{A}+s)}e^{-r(t-A)W_{t}dt}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

However, when I try to compile this using my own Latex compiler, I get the following error message:

latex-prob-070723.png

It says that the "align" doesn't work! Are there any computer experts who know what I am doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
The "align" environment is provided by the AMS-LaTeX package and can be activated by including the line
Code:
\usepackage{amsmath}
somewhere in the preamble of your document. I believe the LaTeX functionality of Physics Forums enables AMS-LaTeX by default, which is why the "align" environment is working correctly on Physics Forums but is not working in your document.

Hi there,

It looks like you may be missing some packages in your Latex compiler. The "align" environment is part of the "amsmath" package, so make sure that is included in your document. Also, make sure that you have the correct syntax for the "align" environment - it should be \begin{align*} and \end{align*} for unnumbered equations.

If you're still having trouble, you can try using a different Latex compiler or seeking help on a Latex forum or community. Good luck!

Related to Solving Latex Alignment Problem

1. How do I fix misaligned equations in LaTeX?

To fix misaligned equations in LaTeX, you can use the \begin{align} and \end{align} commands to align your equations. Within these commands, you can use the ampersand (&) symbol to indicate where you want the equations to be aligned.

2. Why are my equations not aligning properly in LaTeX?

There could be several reasons why your equations are not aligning properly in LaTeX. One common reason is that you have not included the \begin{align} and \end{align} commands to indicate the alignment. Another reason could be that you have not used the ampersand (&) symbol correctly to indicate the alignment points.

3. How do I align multiple equations at once in LaTeX?

To align multiple equations at once in LaTeX, you can use the \begin{align*} and \end{align*} commands. This will align all the equations within these commands. You can also use the ampersand (&) symbol to indicate the alignment points for each equation.

4. Can I align equations without using the align commands in LaTeX?

Yes, you can align equations without using the \begin{align} and \end{align} commands in LaTeX. You can use the align environment from the amsmath package to align equations without the need for these commands.

5. How can I align equations in different columns in LaTeX?

To align equations in different columns in LaTeX, you can use the alignat environment. This environment allows you to specify the number of columns you want and the alignment points for each column using the ampersand (&) symbol. This can be useful for aligning equations with different numbers of terms.