Solving Laplace's Equation with Convode and Initial Conditions

• Thread starter coverband
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation is about entering a specific PDE, LaPlace's equation, into a PDE engine called Convode. The equation is U_xx + U_yy = 0 and has initial conditions of U=0 at x=0, x=1, y=0, and U=x at y=1. The speaker has used Convode before but struggled with inputting initial conditions of U=2 at (x,y)=(2,1). They also mention that Convode gives feedback in French, which they do not understand.
coverband
Could someone tell me how to enter the following PDE into convode (or some other pde engine - feel free to solve it yourself if you like!).

Its LaPlace's equation

U_xx + U_yy = 0

given U=0 when x=0
U=0 when x=1
U=0 when y=0
U=x when y=1

I've used Convode before but when the initial conditions were U=2 at (x,y)=(2,1) for example...

Physics news on Phys.org

I did try using convode some time ago. I think there are examples on that website on how to input the commands. But I'm not sure whether they have example on Laplace equation.

One thing that I don't like about convode is that they give you the feedback in French which I don't understand.

Related to Solving Laplace's Equation with Convode and Initial Conditions

1. What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in space. It is named after the mathematician Pierre-Simon Laplace and is commonly used in physics and engineering to model phenomena such as electric and gravitational potentials.

2. What is Convode?

Convode is a software program that uses numerical methods to solve Laplace's equation and other partial differential equations. It allows for the input of initial conditions and boundary conditions to accurately simulate real-world scenarios.

3. How does Convode solve Laplace's equation?

Convode uses a technique called the Finite Difference Method (FDM) to solve Laplace's equation. FDM approximates the derivatives in the equation using discrete points on a grid, and then uses iterative methods to solve for the unknown values at each point.

4. What is the importance of initial conditions in solving Laplace's equation with Convode?

Initial conditions are essential in solving Laplace's equation because they provide the starting values for the numerical solution. Without initial conditions, the solution would not be unique, and the accuracy of the simulation would be compromised.

5. How can the results of solving Laplace's equation with Convode be applied in real-world situations?

The results obtained from solving Laplace's equation with Convode can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in physics, it can be used to model and predict the behavior of electric and gravitational fields. In engineering, it can be used to simulate heat transfer and fluid flow. In finance, it can be used to model stock prices and predict market trends.