Solving Laplace Transform: \[(s+1)^2/(s^2-s+1)\]

In summary, a Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert functions from the time domain to the frequency domain. To solve a Laplace Transform, we use a formula and various techniques such as tables and algebraic manipulation. The Laplace Transform of a rational function can be found using partial fraction decomposition. It is commonly used to solve differential equations and has many real-world applications in engineering and physics.
Dustinsfl
\[
\frac{(s+1)^2}{s^2 - s + 1}
\]
I have simplified it down to
\[
\frac{s - \frac{1}{2} + s^2 + s + \frac{3}{2}}{(s - 1/2)^2 + \frac{3}{4}} =
e^{1/2t}\cos\Big(t\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\Big) + \sqrt{3}e^{1/2t}\sin\Big(t\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\Big) + \frac{s^2 + s}{(s - 1/2)^2 + \frac{3}{4}}
\]
but I can't figure out the last transform.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
\[
\frac{(s+1)^2}{s^2 - s + 1}
\]
I have simplified it down to
\[
\frac{s - \frac{1}{2} + s^2 + s + \frac{3}{2}}{(s - 1/2)^2 + \frac{3}{4}} =
e^{1/2t}\cos\Big(t\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\Big) + \sqrt{3}e^{1/2t}\sin\Big(t\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\Big) + \frac{s^2 + s}{(s - 1/2)^2 + \frac{3}{4}}
\]
but I can't figure out the last transform.

With symple steps You obtain...

$\displaystyle H(s) = \frac{(s+1)^{2}}{s^{2} - s + 1} = 1 + \frac{3\ s}{s^{2} - s + 1} = 1 + 3\ \frac{s - \frac{1}{2}}{(s - \frac{1}{2})^{2} + \frac{3}{4}} + 3\ \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{(s - \frac{1}{2})^{2} + \frac{3}{4}}\ (1) $

... and from (1) You derive...

$\displaystyle h(t) = \delta (t) + 3\ e^{\frac{t}{2}}\ \cos \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\ t + \sqrt{3}\ e^{\frac{t}{2}}\ \cos \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\ t\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Solving Laplace Transform: \[(s+1)^2/(s^2-s+1)\]

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool that allows us to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze the behavior of systems.

2. How do I solve a Laplace Transform?

To solve a Laplace Transform, we use the formula:
L{f(t)} = ∫0 e-st f(t) dt
where L{f(t)} represents the Laplace Transform of the function f(t) and s is a complex variable. We then use tables, algebraic manipulation, and other techniques to simplify and solve the integral.

3. What is the Laplace Transform of a rational function?

The Laplace Transform of a rational function, such as \[(s+1)^2/(s^2-s+1)\], can be found using partial fraction decomposition and the properties of the Laplace Transform. This involves breaking the function into simpler fractions and using tables or algebra to find the corresponding transforms.

4. How can I use the Laplace Transform to solve differential equations?

The Laplace Transform is a powerful tool for solving differential equations because it converts them into algebraic equations, which are often easier to solve. By applying the Laplace Transform to both sides of a differential equation, we can manipulate the equation and solve for the unknown function.

5. What are some real-world applications of Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform has many real-world applications, especially in engineering and physics. It is used to analyze and design control systems, study the behavior of circuits and signals, and solve differential equations that model physical systems such as mechanical systems, electrical networks, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in image and signal processing, financial modeling, and many other fields.