Solving Laplace Eqn by Separation of vbls

In summary, the Laplace equation is a partial differential equation used to model steady-state systems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. "Separation of variables" is a technique used to solve such equations by breaking them down into simpler equations with one independent variable. To solve the Laplace equation, it is separated into two equations and the solutions are combined. The main applications include physics, engineering, and other scientific fields, while limitations include only being applicable to certain types of problems and not working with time-dependent variables.
Vapor88
Okay, I'm stumped at what seems like a very simple mathematical step

I start with
laplace1.png

Then, the next step is
laplace2.png

I see what changed, but I don't understand exactly what happened. Can someone please explain? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
They just applied the product rule:

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(f(x)g(x)\right) = g(x) \frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x} + f(x) \frac{\partial g(x)}{\partial x} [/tex]

*facepalm*

Thanks. Also, just realized this is in the wrong forum. I'm on a roll...

Related to Solving Laplace Eqn by Separation of vbls

1. What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in space. It is used to model steady-state systems and is widely used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What does "separation of variables" mean?

Separation of variables is a technique used to solve partial differential equations by breaking them down into simpler equations with only one independent variable. This simplifies the problem and allows for easier solutions to be found.

3. How is the Laplace equation solved by separation of variables?

To solve the Laplace equation by separation of variables, the equation is first separated into two equations, one for each independent variable. These equations are then solved individually, and the solutions are combined to find the overall solution to the Laplace equation.

4. What are the main applications of the Laplace equation and separation of variables?

The Laplace equation and separation of variables are widely used in physics and engineering to model and solve various problems involving steady-state systems. They are also used in other scientific fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and quantum mechanics.

5. What are the limitations of using separation of variables to solve the Laplace equation?

Although separation of variables is a powerful technique, it can only be applied to certain types of problems, such as those with rectangular or circular boundaries. It is also limited to problems with constant boundary conditions and does not work for problems with time-dependent variables.