Solving KVL Equations for Clamper Circuits

• Thread starter ranju
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: Vm the second time, the capacitor voltage was Vcath + Vin = Vm. The Vin side of C was at Vcath + Vin and the cathode side was at Vcath = Vm.
ranju
In the attached circuit , I I am confused about the corresponding KVL equations which will be used to draw the waveform ..this is what I am doing ..please see if I am going right or not..??
when Vi >0 , the diode will be reverse biased so , the diode will be open , so the equation should be -Vi+Vc+Vo =0 , Vo=Vi-Vc & since the capacitor will be fully charged so Vc=Vm..! then Vo =Vi-Vm.>!

And when Vi<0 , it is forward biased and diode is short-circuited.. in that case would'nt the V0 zero..?

Attachments

• IMG_20140921_090030.jpg
    IMG_20140921_090030.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't write KVL equations for this circuit. You have to reason it out.

Start with C discharged and Vin = Vsin(wt) = 0. So as Vin goes up, does C charge? What does the cathode (output) voltage Vd do?
Then, Vin goes back to zero. Did C charge? Discharge? Where is Vd now?
Then, Vin goes negative. Does C charge now? What does Vd do?
Then Vd hits negative max Vin = -V, where is Vd now?
Then, Vin goes in the + direction. Does C charge or discharge? What does Vd do?
What does Vd do after that until t = infinity? Does C charge or discharge at any time?

if Vin>0 , C charge with positive potential & diode will be off & open-circuited.. & if negative it charges with positive potential..diode will conduct & will be short-circuited..the polarity of signal will decide whether diode will conduct or not..!
If Vin is goes to zero then C will discharge.>! what is Vd. is it potential across diode? how we will infer Vd..?? Can you please explain..??

ranju said:
if Vin>0 , C charge with positive potential & diode will be off & open-circuited..

How can C charge when there can be no current flowing through the diode from cathode to anode?
Hint: nothing happens until Vin goes negative.
If Vin is goes to zero then C will discharge.>!
How can C discharge? Current can only flow in one direction! C can only charge, not discharge.

rude man said:
nothing happens until Vin goes negative.
so all you mean that when Vi>0 , since diode is non-conducting & hence the terminals are open & so no current..& hence no charging of capacitor..!
and when Vi<0 ..the capacitor charges with negative potential upto a maximum value (peak) ' -Vm' ..
Is that so..?? what happens then??

ranju said:
so all you mean that when Vi>0 , since diode is non-conducting & hence the terminals are open & so no current..& hence no charging of capacitor..!
and when Vi<0 ..the capacitor charges with negative potential upto a maximum value (peak) ' -Vm' ..
Is that so..??
Right. Assuming an ideal diode. If not, the capacitor charges to Vm - VD.
what happens then??

What do you think can happen after the capacitor is fully charged to Vm? Does anything happen when Vin goes positive again? Does it get additional charge when Vin goes negative again?

nothing would happen again it'll be open-circuited when Vi becomes positive...! and when it again goes negative ..I guess it'll be charged further i.e., 2Vm..! Is it..??

ranju said:
nothing would happen again it'll be open-circuited when Vi becomes positive...!

Correct.

and when it again goes negative ..I guess it'll be charged further i.e., 2Vm..! Is it..??[/QUOTE]

Bad guess. When the input voltage goes back to +Vm, what is the voltage at the diode?

As I said that nothing would happen so the voltage will remain the same in positive cycle... but what happens when it goes to negative then?

ranju said:
As I said that nothing would happen so the voltage will remain the same in positive cycle... but what happens when it goes to negative then?

What is the cathode voltage when Vin is +Vm?

why are we considering cathode voltage.>?? In positive cycle diode is off.. so what is the use of this?

ranju said:
why are we considering cathode voltage.>?? In positive cycle diode is off.. so what is the use of this?

I have my reasons as you will see.

The input has gone 0 to +Vm, back to 0, to -Vm, and now went back to + Vm for the second time. What is the cathode voltage?

when it goes to +Vm , the diode is open so there will be no charging..! so cathode will be charged to -Vm only..! & that will be cathode voltage (-Vm)

ranju said:
when it goes to +Vm , the diode is open so there will be no charging..! so cathode will be charged to -Vm only..! & that will be cathode voltage (-Vm)

When you got to Vin = -Vm the first time, the capacitor voltage was Vcath - Vin = Vm. The Vin side of C was at -Vm and the cathode side was at Vcath = 0. Then, when you got to Vin = +Vm the second time, there was no current flowing any time since you left Vin = -Vm so there was no change in the capacitor voltage. So the Vin end is now at +Vm and the charge Q = C(Vcath -Vin) hasn't changed since Vin = - Vm, so what must be the cathode voltage when Vin = +Vm?

ranju said:

How can the cathode voltage be negative? The diode clamps the voltage to Vcath > 0.

Last edited:
I am not getting this cathode voltage thing..! what do yo mean by cathode voltage?

ranju said:
I am not getting this cathode voltage thing..! what do yo mean by cathode voltage?
The voltage on the cathode.

Can't you clear all this in one time only.. I am getting confused now asking queries again and again..?

Related to Solving KVL Equations for Clamper Circuits

1. How do I identify a clamper circuit?

A clamper circuit is identified by the presence of a diode and a capacitor in the circuit. The diode is typically oriented in the direction of current flow, and the capacitor is connected in parallel to the load.

2. What is the purpose of a clamper circuit?

The purpose of a clamper circuit is to shift the DC level of a signal without changing its shape. This is useful in applications such as video and audio equipment, where a reference voltage needs to be established for accurate signal processing.

3. How do I solve KVL equations for a clamper circuit?

To solve KVL equations for a clamper circuit, you will need to apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to the loop containing the diode and capacitor. This will result in a nonlinear algebraic equation, which can be solved using techniques such as substitution or graphical methods.

4. Can I use Ohm's Law to solve KVL equations for a clamper circuit?

No, Ohm's Law cannot be used to solve KVL equations for a clamper circuit because the diode and capacitor introduce nonlinear elements to the circuit. Ohm's Law only applies to linear circuits, where the current-voltage relationship is constant.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving KVL equations for a clamper circuit?

Some common mistakes when solving KVL equations for a clamper circuit include forgetting to account for the voltage drop across the diode, assuming that the voltage across the capacitor is constant, and not considering the polarity of the voltage source when applying KVL. It is important to double-check your work and be aware of the nonlinearity of the components in the circuit.