Solving kinematic formula for t

In summary: Thank you @neilparker62 for showing me the completing square method! I was thinking how I would do that!Using constant acceleration equations you have mentioned in post #7 we can find both roots without formula:##d=v_it+\frac 1 2 at^2## ##\rightarrow## ##v_f=v_i+at## ##\rightarrow## ##t=\frac {v_f-v_i}{a}####v_f=±\sqrt {v_i^2+2ad}####t=\frac {±\sqrt {v_i^2+2ad}-v_i}{a}
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For ## d = v_it + 0.5at^2##, can we solve for t without using the quadratic formula?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve a quadratic equation by completing the square.

Likes MatinSAR and ChiralSuperfields
PeroK said:
Oh true, thank you @PeroK !

PeroK said:
Which is equivalent to using the formula, no?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
No. If you forget the formula you can still complete the square. Or, vice versa!

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
The formula is derived by completing the square for the general case of a 2nd degree polynomial. Regardless, completing the square is a technique that is good to know as you will sometimes have to rewrite expressions "in-place", i.e. by subtracting "zero" and what not rather than moving terms from LHS->RHS.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and PeroK
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

For ## d = v_it + 0.5at^2##, can we solve for t without using the quadratic formula?

Many thanks!
$${v_f}^2={v_i}^2+2ad$$
$$t=\frac{v_f-v_i}{a}$$

Likes ChiralSuperfields and MatinSAR
neilparker62 said:
$${v_f}^2={v_i}^2+2ad$$
$$t=\frac{v_f-v_i}{a}$$
Again, not really any different from using the formula.
@Callumnc1 , why do you wish to avoid using the formula?

Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

Many thanks!

So, you are asking if you can solve a quadratic equation without using the quadratic formula? Or it is something else?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
I think it should have same result but the suggested method helps us find roots withhout knowing how to solve a quadratic equation. He finds them using constant acceleration equations ...

Likes ChiralSuperfields and SammyS
haruspex said:
Thank you for your reply @haruspex !

PeroK said:
No. If you forget the formula you can still complete the square. Or, vice versa!
Thank you for your reply @PeroK!

Mayhem said:
The formula is derived by completing the square for the general case of a 2nd degree polynomial. Regardless, completing the square is a technique that is good to know as you will sometimes have to rewrite expressions "in-place", i.e. by subtracting "zero" and what not rather than moving terms from LHS->RHS.
Thank you for your reply @Mayhem!

neilparker62 said:
$${v_f}^2={v_i}^2+2ad$$
$$t=\frac{v_f-v_i}{a}$$
Thank you for your reply @neilparker62 !

haruspex said:
Thank you for your reply @haruspex !

I was just curious :)

Likes MatinSAR
nasu said:
So, you are asking if you can solve a quadratic equation without using the quadratic formula? Or it is something else?
Thank you for your reply @nasu! Yeah, I guess you think what I'm asking like that!

MatinSAR said:
I think it should have same result but the suggested method helps us find roots withhout knowing how to solve a quadratic equation. He finds them using constant acceleration equations ...
Thank you for your reply @MatinSAR!

Likes MatinSAR
Completing the square:

$$d=v_it+½ at^2$$ $$\frac{a}{2} \left(t^2 + \frac{2v_it}{a}-\frac{2d}{a}\right) = 0 $$ $$\frac{a}{2} \left[ \left(t+\frac{v_i}{a}\right)^2-\frac{2ad}{a^2} - \left(\frac{v_i}{a}\right)^2\right] = 0 $$ $$t=\frac{\sqrt{{v_i}^2+2ad} - v_i}{a}=\frac{v_f-v_i}{a}$$

Likes ChiralSuperfields, PeroK and MatinSAR
neilparker62 said:
Completing the square:

$$d=v_it+½ at^2$$ $$\frac{a}{2} \left(t^2 + \frac{2v_it}{a}-\frac{2d}{a}\right) = 0 $$ $$\frac{a}{2} \left[ \left(t+\frac{v_i}{a}\right)^2-\frac{2ad}{a^2} - \left(\frac{v_i}{a}\right)^2\right] = 0 $$ $$t=\frac{\sqrt{{v_i}^2+2ad} - v_i}{a}=\frac{v_f-v_i}{a}$$

Using constant acceleration equations you have mentioned in post #7 we can find both roots without formula:
##d=v_it+\frac 1 2 at^2## ##\rightarrow## ##v_f=v_i+at## ##\rightarrow## ##t=\frac {v_f-v_i}{a}##
##v_f=±\sqrt {v_i^2+2ad}##

##t=\frac {±\sqrt {v_i^2+2ad}-v_i}{a}##

Likes neilparker62, ChiralSuperfields and PeroK
neilparker62 said:
Completing the square:

Thank you @neilparker62 for showing me the completing square method! I was thinking how I would do that!

MatinSAR said:
Using constant acceleration equations you have mentioned in post #7 we can find both roots without formula:
##d=v_it+\frac 1 2 at^2## ##\rightarrow## ##v_f=v_i+at## ##\rightarrow## ##t=\frac {v_f-v_i}{a}##

Thank you @MatinSAR for showing me your method!

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:

Yes - I should have included the ##\pm##. Then you might call it the kinematics version of the quadratic formula! Good idea to reflect upon when you would use "+" and when "-" in the formula. Also consider the physical meaning of the quadratic's axis of symmetry and its maximum value in the context of projectile motion: $$h(t) = v_it - ½gt^2=\frac{-g}{2} \left[ \left(t-\frac{v_i}{g}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{v_i}{-g}\right)^2\right].$$ Assume up is the positive direction and g is the standard acceleration of gravity: $$g = 9.806 65 ms^{-2} \approx 9.8 ms^{-2}$$.

Last edited:
neilparker62 said:
Yes - I should have included the ##\pm##. Then you might call it the kinematics version of the quadratic formula! Good idea to reflect upon when you would use "+" and when "-" in the formula. Also consider the physical meaning of the quadratic's axis of symmetry and its maximum value in the context of projectile motion: $$h(t) = v_it - ½gt^2=\frac{-g}{2} \left[ \left(t-\frac{v_i}{g}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{v_i}{-g}\right)^2\right].$$ Assume up is the positive direction and g is the standard acceleration of gravity: $$g = 9.806 65 ms^{-2} \approx 9.8 ms^{-2}$$.
Thank you for your reply @neilparker62 !

Sorry, could please explain how you got from ##h(t) = v_it - ½gt^2## to ##h(t) = \frac{-g}{2} \left[ \left(t-\frac{v_i}{g}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{v_i}{-g}\right)^2\right]##?

Many thanks!

Largely the same process as in post #18. I just wrote d as "h(t)" and did not move it onto the right hand side. Otherwise followed standard procedure for completing the square (remove coefficient of t^2 and add/subtract "half the coefficient of t" ^2.)

In Latex, I simply copied the line from post #18 and edited it to remove the term with d in it and replace "a" with "-g" everywhere.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
neilparker62 said:
Largely the same process as in post #18. I just wrote d as "h(t)" and did not move it onto the right hand side. Otherwise followed standard procedure for completing the square (remove co-efficient of t^2 and add/subtract "half the coefficient of t" ^2.)

In Latex, I simply copied the line from post #18 and edited it to remove the term with d in it and replace "a" with "-g" everywhere.
Ok thank you very much for your help @neilparker62 !