Solving Issue with My Director in University Physics

• Thread starter paalfis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    professor
In summary: You should also focus on your own studies and research projects, as well as seeking out other mentors and opportunities in the field. Keep an open and positive attitude and don't let this one setback discourage you from pursuing your interests and goals. In summary, the speaker has been studying and working under an esteemed professor in the field of cognition, but is finding that the professor is not treating them as a student anymore and not offering any new projects or challenges. The speaker is considering dropping the course and discussing their concerns with the professor, but is unsure of what to do. The expert suggests that the professor may view the speaker as a threat or may not appreciate their attitude, and advises the speaker to have an honest conversation with the professor to clarify the
paalfis
I am in third year of University Physics, and I have been particularly interested in models of cognition for two years. I was studying and working as an assistant of an eminence in the area during the last 6 months, who, after seeing I was so interested (I was the only student interested), 'took me under his wing'. I have learned a lot with him and this year I was ready to start something bigger.
Anyway, my director was choosed as a professor in a subject I am interested. Obviously, I started his course as a student (although I suggested to be an assistant, and he rejected it, he choosed one of him collegues). After some weeks, he started treating me as any other student, no more meetings with other great scientists, no more seminars, no more cool projects or challenges; and definately nothing of that 'something bigger' I was waiting for. I have asked him about new projects in his lab, and everytime he have said 'we can discuss this in class'.
I thought of dropping out of his class (since I have enough knowledge to be teaching it) , and I have discussed this with him too, but I am not sure that is a good idea.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps he views you as a threat or he doesn't like your attitude and has decided to treat you differently. The fact that you asked to be the course assistant and have been looking for something bigger may give him the notion that you are too ambitious or not appreciating his mentor-ship.

jedishrfu said:
Perhaps he views you as a threat or he doesn't like your attitude and has decided to treat you differently. The fact that you asked to be the course assistant and have been looking for something bigger may give him the notion that you are too ambitious or not appreciating his mentor-ship.
And what should I do if that's the case?

You need to find out first with a frank talk with him.

If that doesn't work then you may need to see your dean for advice or dept head (last resort).

I'm having some trouble understanding some of the specifics, but I think I get the general gist of the problem.

In academia you are generally expected to have formal credentials, even to act as a teaching assistant. Unfortunatelty working in a lab or doing your own reading doesn't give you these credentials - even if your knowledge and skill level is well beyond what is covered in the couse. The only thing that gives you the credential is getting the credit for the course and the degree as well. So it's likely that even if this professor wanted to, he likely can't treat you as anything more than a student.

The best way to move forward is to be thankful for the opportunity that you've had and let him know that you would be interested in any future opportunities to work with him again.

Related to Solving Issue with My Director in University Physics

1. How can I effectively communicate with my director in university physics?

Effective communication with your director in university physics is crucial in solving any issues you may have. Some tips for effective communication include actively listening, presenting your concerns in a clear and respectful manner, and being open to compromise.

2. What should I do if I disagree with my director's decision in university physics?

If you disagree with your director's decision in university physics, it is important to first understand their reasoning behind the decision. If you still disagree, you can respectfully express your concerns and provide evidence or alternative solutions. Ultimately, the director has the final say, but it is important to voice your opinion.

3. How can I address conflicts with my director in university physics?

The best way to address conflicts with your director in university physics is to have an open and honest conversation. Clearly state the issue and listen to their perspective. Try to find a compromise or solution that works for both parties. If the conflict cannot be resolved, you can seek guidance from a neutral third party, such as a supervisor or mediator.

4. What steps can I take to improve my working relationship with my director in university physics?

To improve your working relationship with your director in university physics, you can try to establish a positive and respectful communication style, consistently meet deadlines and expectations, and actively seek feedback and guidance. It is also important to maintain a professional attitude and avoid personal conflicts.

5. Is it appropriate to involve other faculty or staff members in resolving issues with my director in university physics?

Involving other faculty or staff members in resolving issues with your director in university physics should only be done as a last resort. It is important to try to resolve the issue directly with your director first. If the issue cannot be resolved, then you can seek guidance from a neutral third party, such as a supervisor or mediator. It is generally not appropriate to involve other individuals unless the issue is serious and cannot be resolved between you and your director.