Solving Irrational Numbers: Exploring My Reasoning

In summary, the conversation discusses the contradiction of assuming that a rational number can be expressed as \sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3. The conversation also explores the possibility of using a similar proof technique for other irrational numbers, such as \sqrt 2 + \pi. The main argument is to prove that xc cannot be an integer, leading to the conclusion that x is irrational.
glebovg
Can anyone explain what is wrong with my reasoning?

Suppose [itex]x = \frac{p}{q}[/itex] and let [itex]x = \sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3 [/itex]. Also, let [itex]a,b,c \in {\Bbb Z}[/itex] and assume [itex]a < xc < b[/itex]. If I show that xc must be an integer, and I know there does not exist c such that [itex]\sqrt 2 c[/itex], or [itex]\sqrt 3 c[/itex] is an integer. Then, [itex]\left( {\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3 } \right)c[/itex] cannot be an integer, a contradiction.

p and q are integers, where q > 1. I am supposing that [itex]\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3 = p/q[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to prove exactly?

If x is a rational number, p and q would have to be integers and therefore x could not be [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] + [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]. That's the contradiction. That means xc could never be rational for any integer c

Suppose, beforehand we show that xc is an integer, and then show it is not. By the way, is it true that [itex]\sqrt 2 c + \sqrt 3 c[/itex] is never an integer? I think it is true. Then we have arrived at a contradiction.

For instance, you could do a proof of this form:

1. Assume x = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] + [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] is rational.
2. Define a < xc < b, where a, b, and c are integers.
3. Prove that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] are both irrational (by the contradiction proof I posted)
4. Since integers are a subset of rational numbers, and x is not in the set of rational numbers, then xc cannot be an integer for any integer c.

Yes, I know. I just gave an example. Suppose [itex]x = \sqrt 2 + \pi[/itex]. Would the same argument work? I know I left some detail out, but essentially I show that xc has to be an integer. Using the same reasoning would I arrive at a contradiction?

Last edited:
tazzzdo said:
For instance, you could do a proof of this form:

1. Assume x = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] + [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] is rational.
2. Define a < xc < b, where a, b, and c are integers.
3. Prove that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] are both irrational (by the contradiction proof I posted)
4. Since integers are a subset of rational numbers, and x is not in the set of rational numbers, then xc cannot be an integer for any integer c.

Are you sure this would work? I think the only problem is part 2. You cannot just define a < xc < b. You have to show that is the case. Correct? If I suppose [itex]x = \sqrt 2 + \pi[/itex]. Would the same argument work? We know that both [itex]\sqrt 2[/itex] and [itex]\pi[/itex] are irrational. If I I show that part 2 must hold, etc. I would arrive at a contradiction. Correct?

Last edited:
I'm a little confused because it's rather vague. a and b are arbitrary, correct? You originally just assumed a < xc < b just as i did. So I don't get what you're trying to prove with that. a and b are just boundaries that imply |a/c| < x < |b/c|

For example, let [itex]x = \sqrt 2 + \pi[/itex] and assume [itex]x = p/q[/itex]. Suppose we can show that xc, where c is an integer, must be an integer between two integers, namely a and b i.e. a < xc < b. If I prove that xc cannot be an integer, would it be reasonable to infer that we have a contradiction? I know it may sound confusing. I hope it makes sense. Essentially, if we show that xc must be an integer between a and b, assuming x = p/q, and then show xc cannot be an integer, will we have a contradiction (assuming we can actually show xc must be between a and b)? Can we then infer that x is irrational?

Last edited:
You can absolutely prove that x is irrational and therefore xc is irrational and not an integer.

1. Show x is irrational by contradiction.
2. Assume a < xc < b for integers a, b, c, where xc is an integer.
3. Prove that since x is irrational, then xc is also irrational and therefore not an integer.

What's the problem? You could pick a and b to be anything outside of xc. It seems like that part is pointless. If the heart of the proof is to prove that xc cannot be an integer between some integers a and b, then just prove xc cannot be an integer (no matter what xc is, there will be integers that it lies between).

It seems like if we let [itex]x = \sqrt 2 + \pi[/itex] it does not work.

Related to Solving Irrational Numbers: Exploring My Reasoning

What are irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be written as a simple fraction, meaning they cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. They are numbers with non-terminating and non-repeating decimal expansions, such as pi or the square root of 2.

How do you solve irrational numbers?

To solve irrational numbers, you can use approximation methods, such as rounding to a certain number of decimal places, or you can use algebraic methods, such as simplifying radicals or using logarithms.

Why are irrational numbers important?

Irrational numbers are important in mathematics because they help us describe and understand the world around us. They can be used to represent measurements, such as the circumference of a circle, and they are essential in many mathematical concepts, such as calculus and geometry.

Can irrational numbers be negative?

Yes, irrational numbers can be negative. In fact, any number that cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, whether it is positive or negative, is considered an irrational number.

How can you tell if a number is irrational?

A number is irrational if it cannot be written as a simple fraction and has a non-terminating and non-repeating decimal expansion. Another way to tell if a number is irrational is to take its square root. If the square root is not a whole number, then the original number is irrational.