Solving Initial Value Problem: \(\ln(t)+t^2y^2-\sin(y)=\pi^2\)

In summary, the conversation is discussing a practice exam question involving an exact differential problem. The given equation is in the form of an exact differential and the solution is found by using the mixed partials test and integrating the partial derivatives with respect to x and y. The final solution is given as ln(x)+y^2x^2-sin(y)=C or F(x,y)=ln(x)+y^2x^2-sin(y)=C'.
alane1994
Ok, I have a practice exam... My professor gave out a copy with worked out examples. There is one where I don't get his logic at all. I was wondering if you guys could explain it to me?\(\displaystyle (\frac{1}{t}+2y^2t)dt+(2yt^2-\cos(y))dy=0\)

First, he put \(\text{Assume t>0}\)
?

\(\displaystyle \text{Since} \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(\frac{1}{t}+2y^2t)=4yt=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}(2yt^2-\cos(y))\)

\(\displaystyle F(t,y)=\int (\frac{1}{t}+2y^2t)dt=\ln(t)+y^2t^2+f(y)\)
\(\displaystyle ~~~~~~~~~~~=\int (2yt^2-\cos(y))dy=y^2ts-\sin(y)+g(t)\)

From those (not sure how to do two lines into right brace).

\(\ln(t)+t^2y^2-\sin(y)=C\)
\(y(1)=\pi\)
\(0+\pi^2-0=C\)

\(\therefore \ln(t)+t^2+y^2-\sin(y)=\pi^2\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Ivp

alane1994 said:
Ok, I have a practice exam... My professor gave out a copy with worked out examples. There is one where I don't get his logic at all. I was wondering if you guys could explain it to me?\(\displaystyle (\frac{1}{t}+2y^2t)dt+(2yt^2-\cos(y))dy=0\)

First, he put \(\text{Assume t>0}\)
?

\(\displaystyle \text{Since} \frac{\partial}{\partial y}(\frac{1}{t}+2y^2t)=4yt=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}(2yt^2-\cos(y))\)

\(\displaystyle F(t,y)=\int (\frac{1}{t}+2y^2t)dt=\ln(t)+y^2t^2+f(y)\)
\(\displaystyle ~~~~~~~~~~~=\int (2yt^2-\cos(y))dy=y^2ts-\sin(y)+g(t)\)

From those (not sure how to do two lines into left brace).

\(\ln(t)+t^2y^2-\sin(y)=C\)
\(y(1)=\pi\)
\(0+\pi^2-0=C\)

\(\therefore \ln(t)+t^2+y^2-\sin(y)=\pi^2\)

An ODE written in the form...$\displaystyle A (t,y)\ dt + B(t,y)\ dy = 0\ (1)$

... where $\displaystyle \frac{\partial A}{\partial y}= \frac{\partial B}{\partial t}$ is called 'exact differential' and its solution, with initial condition $y(t_{0})= y_{0}$ is... $\displaystyle \int_{t_{0}}^{t} A(u,y)\ du + \int_{y_{0}}^{y} B(t_{0},v)\ dv = c\ (2)$

In Your case is $\displaystyle A(t,y) = \frac{1}{t} + 2\ y^{2}\ t$ and $\displaystyle B (t,y) = 2\ y\ t^{2} - \cos y$ so that $\displaystyle \frac{\partial A}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial B}{\partial t}$ and You have an exact differential. The general solution is given from (2)...

$\displaystyle \int_{t_{0}}^{t} (\frac{1}{u} + 2\ u\ y^{2})\ du + \int_{y_{0}}^{y} (2\ t_{0}^{2}\ v - \cos v)\ dv= c\ (3)$

... and the integration of (3) is left to You...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Where did the the

\(y^2ts\)

come from?

How did terms cancel like that? It seems like they shouldn't.

Re: Ivp

This is a pretty standard "exact differential" problem. First, the "Assume t> 0" is to avoid t= 0 which, because of the "1/t", would cause trouble. Of course there would be another solution if we were to "assume t< 0".

(I just noticed that I have used "x, y" where you have "t, y". Assume my "x" is your "t".)

If F(x, y) is a differentiable function of x and y, then its differential is [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}dy[/tex]. As long as those partial derivatives are smooth, we must have the "mixed derivatives" the same: [tex]\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x\partial y}= \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y\partial x}[/tex] (where the order of "[tex]\partial x[/tex]" and "tex]\partial y[/tex]" indicates the order of differentiation).

Now, we can write "u(x,y)dx+ v(x,y)dy" which looks like a differential- but it may not be! (We would say it is not "exact".) If this were really a differential, We would have to have [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}=u[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= v[/tex] then [tex]\frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x\partial y}= \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}= \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y\partial x}[/tex].

That is what is called the "mixed partials test" and they are showing after "Since".

Because that is true, we know there exist some function, F(x,y) such that [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= \frac{1}{x}+ 2y^2x[/tex]. Integrating (with respect to x, treating y as a constant) [tex]F= ln(x)+ y^2x^2+ \phi(y)[/tex]. (Since we are treating y as a constant, the "constant of integration" may depend on y. That is the "[tex]\phi(y)[/tex]" above.)

Now, differentiate [tex]F= ln(x)+ y^2x^2+ \phi(y)[/tex] with respect to y: [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= 2y^2x+ \frac{d\phi}{dy}[/tex]. (Notice that the derivative of [tex]\phi[/tex] is an ordinary derivative, not a partial derivative because [tex]\phi[/tex] is a function of the single variable y.)

But we know, from the equation, [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= 2yx^2- cos(y)[/tex] so we must have [tex]2y^2x+ \frac{d\phi}{dy}= 2yx^2- cos(y)[/tex]. Notice that the only terms involving x, [tex]2yx^2[/tex], cancel! That had to happen because of the "mixed derivatives" condition. That leaves just [tex]\frac{d\phi}{dy}= -cos(y)[/tex] so that [tex]\phi(y)= -sin(y)+ C[/tex] (C really is a constant here) so that
[tex]F(x,y)= ln(x)+ y^2x^2- sin(y)+ C[/tex].

Since the differential equation was "dF= 0", F must be a constant: [tex]F(x,y)= ln(x)+ y^2x^2- sin(y)+C= c[/tex] or just [tex]F(x, y)= ln(x)+ y^2x^2- sin(y)= C'[/tex] where I have combined the two constants: C'= c- C.

Dropping the "F", which was not part of the original equation, [tex]ln(x)+ y^2x^2- sin(y)= C[/tex].

(Replacing x with your t:
[tex]ln(t)+ y^2t^2- sin(y)= C[/tex].)

(I suspect the "[tex]y^2ts[/tex]" was a typo. It should be just "[tex]y^2t[/tex]".)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys very much! Makes a lot more sense now!

Related to Solving Initial Value Problem: \(\ln(t)+t^2y^2-\sin(y)=\pi^2\)

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation, along with a set of initial conditions. These initial conditions specify the value of the function at a particular point in the domain.

2. How do you solve an initial value problem?

To solve an initial value problem, you first need to determine the type of differential equation it is (e.g. linear, separable, exact, etc.). Then, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution to solve for the function. Finally, you can use the given initial conditions to find the specific solution.

3. What is the purpose of solving an initial value problem?

The purpose of solving an initial value problem is to find a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies both the equation itself and the given initial conditions. This allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of the system described by the differential equation.

4. What are the steps for solving "ln(t)+t^2y^2-sin(y)=pi^2" as an initial value problem?

The steps for solving this initial value problem would be as follows:

1. Determine the type of differential equation (in this case, it is non-linear).
  2. Separate the variables and integrate both sides of the equation.
  3. Use the initial condition (e.g. y(0) = 1) to find the constant of integration.
  4. Plug in the constant of integration and solve for the specific solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving initial value problems?

Solving initial value problems has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. For example, they can be used to model the motion of objects under the influence of forces, predict population growth in a biological system, or analyze electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in the fields of economics and finance to model and predict economic trends and stock prices.