Solving Inequalities and Quadratic story problems

In summary, the dietitian's dish will cost no more than $0.36 per serving and provide at least 40 grams of carbs.
Cup0fDOOM
Question 1:

A hospital dietitian wishes to prepare a corn-bean vegetable dish which will provide at least 40 grams of carbs, and cost no more than \$0.36 per serving.

28 grams of corn provide 8 grams of carbs and cost \$.04.

30 grams of beans provide 5 grams of carbs and cost \$.03. For taste there must be at least 56 grams of beans. There must be at least as much corn as beans.

I need to find 5 inequalities and graph them, I know how to graph and solve the inequalities I'm just having a really hard time finding the inequalities.

What I have so far: corn > or equal to 56, amount of Corn > or equal to amount of Beans.

Question 2:

Montenia takes a commuter train to her restaurant every afternoon, traveling 25 miles. Later that evening she returns home on the same train, except it is able to average 5mph faster. Montenia spend a total of 1 hour and 50 minutes total on the trains commuting. what is the speed of the train on the return trip.

I know that the 25 is the constant term but I'm having issues with the other pieces of the problem.

What I would really like is for someone to walk be through it so I can understand it myself, so in the future I won't need someone to hold my hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Cup0fDOOM,

Welcome to MHB! :)

I'll help you out with #2.

We start with $d=rt$.

a) To model the trip there we can say that $d=r_1 \times t_1$ and on the way back we can say that $d=r_2 \times t_2$. Well now we have two equations but 5 variables, so we need to make some substitutions!

b) We know that \(\displaystyle t_1+t_2=\frac{11}{6}\), making note that 1 hour plus 5/6 of another hour is 11/6 hours.

c) We notice as well that $r_1+5=r_2$. With the previous two equations we can reduce the two times into one time and the two rates of travel into 1 rate. Lastly plug in 25 for $d$ and you should be able to solve.

Try that out and if you have any problems let me know :)

Jameson

Last edited:
Cup0fDOOM said:
Question 1:

A hospital dietitian wishes to prepare a corn-bean vegetable dish which will provide at least 40 grams of carbs, and cost no more than \$0.36 per serving.

28 grams of corn provide 8 grams of carbs and cost \$.04.

30 grams of beans provide 5 grams of carbs and cost \$.03. For taste there must be at least 56 grams of beans. There must be at least as much corn as beans.

I need to find 5 inequalities and graph them, I know how to graph and solve the inequalities I'm just having a really hard time finding the inequalities.

What I have so far: corn > or equal to 56, amount of Corn > or equal to amount of Beans.

Introduce two variables \(b\) and \(c\) for the number of grams per serving of beans and corn respectivly.

Then starting from the bottom:

There must be at least as much corn as beans: \(c \ge b \), or rearranging \( c-b\ge 0\)

There must be at least 56 grams of beans: \( b\ge 56 \)

Now you need inequalities for cost and carbs, try to do these yourself and if you have trouble post again in this thread for more help.

Also there must be a non-negative quantity of corns, so \(c \ge 0\)

CB

Related to Solving Inequalities and Quadratic story problems

1. What is the process for solving inequalities and quadratic story problems?

The process for solving inequalities and quadratic story problems involves identifying the variables, setting up an equation or inequality to represent the problem, solving the equation or inequality, and interpreting the solution in the context of the story problem.

2. How do I know when to use inequalities versus equations in story problems?

Inequalities are used when there is a range of possible solutions, while equations are used when there is only one specific solution. In story problems, inequalities are often used when there are multiple possible outcomes, such as in situations involving maximum or minimum values.

3. What is the difference between solving inequalities and solving quadratic equations?

The main difference between solving inequalities and solving quadratic equations is that inequalities involve a range of possible solutions, while quadratic equations have a finite number of solutions. Additionally, quadratic equations involve a squared term, while inequalities do not necessarily have this term.

4. How do I know if my solution to a story problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a story problem is correct, you can substitute the solution back into the original equation or inequality. If the solution satisfies the equation or inequality, then it is a valid solution. Additionally, you can also use a graphing calculator to visually confirm your solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving inequalities and quadratic story problems more efficiently?

One tip for solving these types of problems more efficiently is to carefully read and identify all the given information in the story problem. This will help you set up the equation or inequality correctly. Additionally, practicing with various types of story problems and understanding the properties of inequalities and quadratic equations can also improve efficiency.