Solving Inclined Plane Motion: A Physics Problem

In summary: I am not sure I follow your explanation. Can you clarify?In summary, the conversation discusses an example of a frictionless plane inclined at 50 degrees to the horizontal with a released mass of 65kg. The correct acceleration down the slope is found to be 7.5 m/s/s, but the teacher claims it should be 12.8 m/s/s based on a right angled triangle with 9.8 m/s/s as the opposite side and solving for the hypotenuse. The student is unsure of this method and questions its validity.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. In physics, we are studying motion, and the three laws of motion.

At the moment I am having trouble with inclined planes. Take the following example for instance:

"A frictionless plane is inclined at 50 degrees to the horizontal. A mass of 65kg is released on the slope. What is its acceleration down the slope?"

From what i understand, the weight/gravity force should be resolved into its horizontal and vertical components relative to the slope (slope being horizontal). In this case, the weight force becomes:

[tex]
W = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{65g\cos 40} \\
{ - 65g\sin 40} \\
\end{array}} \right)
[/tex]

To balance the vertical component, so the object doesn't move up and down, the normal force therefore has the same magnitude but opposite direction as the vertical component of the weight force. Therefore:

[tex]
N = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
0 \\
{65g\sin 40} \\
\end{array}} \right)
[/tex]

The net force then ends up being the horizontal component of the weight/gravity force...[tex]
\sum F={65g\cos 40}[/tex]

Since i want to find acceleration, i then divide the force being applied to the object by its mass, 65kg. So the acceleration ends up being [tex]a={g\cos 40}=7.5 m/s/s[/tex]

However, apparently the answer is like 12.8 m/s/s. My teacher says that i need to create a right angled triangle from the information, where 9.8 m/s/s (gravitational acceleration) is the side opposite to the 50 degree angle, and then solve for the hypotenuse, which should give me the actual acceleration i need.

Could someone please tell me where I've gone wrong in my calculations. Thanks,
Dan.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"A frictionless plane is inclined at 50 degrees to the horizontal. A mass of 65kg is released on the slope. What is its acceleration down the slope?2

This may be a very unproductive answer. See above and always draw an image. That will help you more than anything.

You've mixed up the components of the normal force. Redraw the diagram and check again.

Also the angle in the question does not match the one in the answer. Moreover, the answer must be less than 9.8ms-2, because the maximum occurs when the object is falling straight down.

danago said:
The net force then ends up being the horizontal component of the weight/gravity force...[tex]
\sum F={65g\cos 40}[/tex]
Your work looks good to me. (Note to others: cos(40) = sin(50) :wink: )

Since i want to find acceleration, i then divide the force being applied to the object by its mass, 65kg. So the acceleration ends up being [tex]a={g\cos 40}=7.5 m/s/s[/tex]
Sounds good.

However, apparently the answer is like 12.8 m/s/s.
How can that be? The acceleration down the incline can only be a fraction of the acceleration due to gravity; it can't be greater!

I don't see that you did anything wrong.

Doc Al said:
(Note to others: cos(40) = sin(50) :wink: )

:redface: Note to self : Draw the diagram and check again.
Sorry about that, danago, if I misled you.

danago said:
However, apparently the answer is like 12.8 m/s/s. My teacher says that i need to create a right angled triangle from the information, where 9.8 m/s/s (gravitational acceleration) is the side opposite to the 50 degree angle, and then solve for the hypotenuse, which should give me the actual acceleration i need.

This is wrong. Your answer makes much more sense logically, and probably mathematically as well. Consider this... if the object accelerates faster than g, and has to travel a longer distance (the length of the slope vs. straight down), doesn't it have more energy than a falling object released from the same height when they both hit the ground?

That's certainly in violation of a principle or two of physics

Hmmm well I am glad my working seems to be ok. Now I've just got to figure out what my teacher was trying to do.

Thanks very much for the replies everyone.

What your teacher thought (which is not right!)

Is that

sin(50o) = g/a

so

a = g/sin(50o) = 12.8

Attachments

• component of g.jpg
    component of g.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
yea. He drew diagrams and showed us that, but it didnt seem right to me. I am still lost as to why he did it like that though :s

Well as one goes from straight down to some incline the mass will experience a component of g. The way he drew it is that g is a component of the acceleration along the incline, which is not correct.

Attachments

• real component of g.jpg
    real component of g.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

Related to Solving Inclined Plane Motion: A Physics Problem

1. What is an inclined plane motion?

An inclined plane motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a slanted surface, such as a ramp or hill.

2. How do you solve a problem involving inclined plane motion?

To solve a problem involving inclined plane motion, you can use the principles of Newton's laws of motion and trigonometry. First, draw a free-body diagram to identify the forces acting on the object. Then, use the equations of motion and trigonometric functions to find the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of the object.

3. What factors affect the motion of an object on an inclined plane?

The motion of an object on an inclined plane is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, the force of gravity, and the presence of friction. These factors determine the acceleration and velocity of the object.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of an object?

The angle of the incline affects the motion of an object by changing the component of gravity that acts parallel to the surface. As the angle increases, the component of gravity also increases, causing the object to accelerate faster. However, if the angle is too steep, the object may slide or roll down the incline due to the increased force of gravity.

5. What is the difference between a frictionless and a frictional inclined plane?

A frictionless inclined plane is a theoretical concept in which there is no force of friction acting on the object. In this case, the object will continue to move with a constant velocity along the incline. A frictional inclined plane, on the other hand, takes into account the force of friction, which can either slow down or speed up the motion of the object depending on the direction of the incline and the coefficient of friction.