Solving Hydraulic Systems with Pascal's Law - Joshua

• Thread starter Barstowrat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, Joshua is trying to figure out how much weight is needed to lift a liquid using Pascal's Law, but is having trouble finding the right formula. He is trying to do this using Imperial measurements, which makes the calculation difficult.
Barstowrat
I think the solution I need lies within Pascal's Law, but I'm not quite sure I'm doing it right. I'm not looking for the answer to the problem, that's no fun, but I at least need the right series of formulas.

I have a storage vessel in my basement with water in it. My plan is to basically make a hydraulic ram (in theory), by adding a sealed plate with heavy weights, pressurizing it into a smaller pipe, thus supplying water to the upstairs. How do I go about figuring out what weight it is that I need for this to supply ample pressure? Or is this a completely worthless idea, meaning that it would require the weight a school bus?

My biggest problems is that all I read about Pascal's Law is the exact opposite of what I want and the formulas never seem quite right... probably because all of science exists in metric, and I learned SAE. Again, not looking for a solution to the problem, but need the way to figure it out.

Thank you,
Joshua

Physics news on Phys.org
For Pascal's Law, the pressure is transmitted equally throughout a liquid. Take the case here:

variation_depth.jpg

Pressure at 1 = Pressure at 2

i.e. P1= P2 but you know that P = F/A

i.e. F1/A1= F2/A2

Based on your piping you will have the values for A1 and A2. F2 would be the weight of what you want to lift. F1 would be how much force you would need to apply.

You can simplify the formula to make F1 the subject to get the required force.

EDIT: I am also not sure if what you are asking is called "Pascal's Law" though.

Last edited:
I need F2 to be @80 psi out of .5" pipe. What formula would I use to figure out how much weight its required for F1? Am I missing a step or am I just dense? LOL

Barstowrat said:
I need F2 to be @80 psi out of .5" pipe. What formula would I use to figure out how much weight its required for F1? Am I missing a step or am I just dense? LOL

If you have P2 = 80 psi, then you would need to know the inlet pipe size (to get A1).

Then just F1 = 80A1 which give F1 in lbs.

A1=452.16sq" • 80psi = 36,172.8lbs

Is that right? Seems a little excessive.

Barstowrat said:
A1=452.16sq" • 80psi = 36,172.8lbs

Is that right? Seems a little excessive.

Your calculation is correct.. You would need 36,173 lbs on a 452 square inch plate to pressurize the fluid to 80 PSI. The reason it seems excessive is you're using Pascal's Law backwards. Usually you use a small force on a small surface area to lift a heavier weight on a large surface area.

Looks like I will have to abandon that idea. I really hoped it was going to work. Don't suppose anyone has a better idea to do this without using energy (electricity,etc)?

Related to Solving Hydraulic Systems with Pascal's Law - Joshua

1. What is Pascal's Law and how does it apply to hydraulic systems?

Pascal's Law states that when pressure is applied to a confined fluid, the pressure is transmitted equally in all directions. This means that a small force applied to a small area can create a larger force on a larger area, making it useful in hydraulic systems where pressure is used to move fluids and generate force.

2. What are the main components of a hydraulic system?

The main components of a hydraulic system include a pump, reservoir, valves, actuators, and fluid. The pump is used to create pressure by forcing the fluid into the system, while the reservoir stores the fluid. Valves control the flow and direction of the fluid, and actuators use the pressure to generate force and movement.

3. How do you calculate the force exerted by a hydraulic system?

To calculate the force exerted by a hydraulic system, you can use the formula Force = Pressure x Area. This means that the force generated is directly proportional to the pressure applied and the surface area of the actuator. By increasing the pressure or the size of the actuator, you can increase the force generated by the system.

4. What are the advantages of using hydraulic systems?

Hydraulic systems have several advantages, including their ability to generate high amounts of force, their precision and control, and their ability to operate in a variety of conditions. They are also more durable and reliable compared to other systems, making them suitable for heavy-duty and industrial applications.

5. How can you troubleshoot issues with a hydraulic system?

If you encounter issues with a hydraulic system, the first step is to check the fluid level and make sure it is clean and free of air bubbles. You can also inspect the system for leaks and check the condition of the components such as valves and actuators. If necessary, you may need to replace worn or damaged parts, and it is recommended to regularly maintain and service the system to prevent issues from arising.