Solving Hydraulic & Pneumatic Problems in HNC Course

• Thread starter braceman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential problems that may occur if a pneumatic pipe is specified to be either larger or smaller than the optimum value. While there is detailed information on the effects of using a smaller pipe, the information regarding a larger pipe is limited to increased cost of installation. However, the conversation raises the possibility of other potential issues such as increased operation costs and premature failure of the unit due to the need for increased compressor output. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in finding relevant information on pipes sized too big.
braceman
Doing a HNC course and my current module is hydraulics and pneumatics. Never done this before so not sure if my thinking is correct for this question. The handouts are a bit vague in places and I can't find anything relevant on the net.

1. Homework Statement

What problems may occur if a pneumatic pipe is specified 1. Larger 2. Smaller. than the optimum value.

Homework Equations

[/B]
none

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My notes go a bit into detail about what happens if the pipe is smaller - increased resistance to flow resulting in pressure drops which result in increased operation costs. The only thing stated for larger pipes is 'increased cost of installation'. I would have thought there was more than this ie, - to get the correct pressure/flow in the line, we'd have to increase the compressor output to compensate, so surely this would result in premature failure of the unit and cost of repair...or something like that.

Any more ideas? Doesn't have to be complicated or involve calculations (as no stats are given). I've spent a while searching for sites with details and there's some with info on pipes sized too small, but none for pipes sized too big .

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
braceman said:
to get the correct pressure/flow in the line, we'd have to increase the compressor output to compensate
As I understand the question, the pipe is merely a conduit between two other parts of the flow. Increasing the pipe width does not change the portions beyond it.
An analogy would be using a fat wire in an electrical circuit. It reduces the resistance at the expense of more copper, but that is all.

Related to Solving Hydraulic & Pneumatic Problems in HNC Course

What are hydraulic and pneumatic systems?

Hydraulic and pneumatic systems are two types of fluid power systems used to transmit power through the use of pressurized fluids. Hydraulic systems use liquids, such as oil, while pneumatic systems use gases, such as air.

What are some common problems encountered in hydraulic and pneumatic systems?

Some common problems encountered in hydraulic and pneumatic systems include leaks, pressure drops, contamination, and component failure. These issues can lead to decreased efficiency and performance of the system.

How can I troubleshoot and solve hydraulic and pneumatic problems?

To troubleshoot and solve hydraulic and pneumatic problems, it is important to first understand the system and its components. Then, you can use diagnostic tools and techniques, such as pressure gauges and flow meters, to identify the source of the problem. From there, you can make necessary repairs or replacements to solve the issue.

What are some preventative measures to avoid hydraulic and pneumatic problems?

To prevent hydraulic and pneumatic problems, it is important to regularly maintain and inspect the system. This includes checking for leaks, replacing worn or damaged components, and keeping the system clean and free of contaminants. It is also important to use the correct fluids and follow recommended operating procedures.

How can I learn more about solving hydraulic and pneumatic problems in an HNC course?

An HNC course, or Higher National Certificate, in hydraulic and pneumatic engineering will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to solve problems in these systems. It will cover topics such as system design, maintenance, and troubleshooting techniques. You can also further your knowledge through hands-on experience and additional training courses.