Solving Homework Q: Bullet & Block Impact Velocity

• Thread starter Afro_Akuma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the conversation centers around a homework assignment involving a bullet colliding with a wooden block and causing it to slide a certain distance. The problem is set up as an elastic collision, but it is pointed out that the collision is actually inelastic due to the deformation of the block. More information, such as the mass of the block or the coefficient of friction, is needed to solve the problem. Possible solutions are discussed, but it is ultimately determined that the problem cannot be solved without one of these pieces of information.
Afro_Akuma
Having missed most of this material, I am finding myself at odds wih the last question of a homework assignment:

A bullet of mass 4.0 g moving horizontally with a velocity of 500 m/s strikes a wooden block, initially at rest, on a rough wooden surface. The bullet passes through the block in a negligible time interval, emerging with a velocity of 100 m/s and causing the block to slide 40 cm along the surface before coming to rest. With what velocity does the block move just after the bullet exits?

Can anybody suggest a good way to set up this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you given the coefficient of friction of the surface?

I don't think you need the coefficient of friction to solve a problem like this. This is a type of collision question. Since there are two types of collisions (elastic and inelastic), there are two ways of setting up the problem. We'll just treat yours as an elastic collision since the bullet and the block don't remain stuck together. So, set it up like this:

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' +m2v2'
m= mass in kg
v= velocity-->(v2' is the velocity of the block after the bullet goes through, which is what you want to find)

Try plugging some of the numbers into this formula and solve for v2'.

O.K. wait a sec...do you know the mass of the block?

I figured we didn't have the mas of the wooden block, otherwise the "it moves 40 cm part" would be useless and pi = pf would be all there is to the problem.
My idea was to use the fact that in moving of 40 cm, the friction does a work equal to the variation of kinetic energy. If we know the coefficient of friction mu, then

[tex]W = 40cm*m_2g \mu = \frac{1}{2}m_2 v_2'^2[/tex]

and we can isolate v_2' as a function of mu.

Last edited:
OK then we do need mu. Woops...my mistake. I wasn't sure how to take the "40cm" part into account. There isn't another way to do it without mu then, is there?

The collision can't be treated as elastic, since the bullet does deform the block. That takes energy, which will have to come out of the initial kinetic energy of the bullet. Kinetic energy therefore cannot be conserved, so the collision cannot be elastic.

It does seem to me that more information is needed here. Clearly, the amount of friction is going to make a difference. Since the bullet passes through the block "in negligible time", friction will not matter greatly in the amount of energy transferred to the block. The distance the block will slide, then, will depend only on the force of friction. If we knew the mass of the block, we could determine from that the velocity of the block: the distance it slides would then tell us the force of friction and, therefore, the coefficient of friction. Alternately, if we knew the coefficient of friction, we could determine the force it exerts. Given that, we could find the velocity and, hence, the mass of the block. Without one or the other, though, it seems to me the problem is insoluable as stated.

Related to Solving Homework Q: Bullet & Block Impact Velocity

1. What is the formula for calculating bullet velocity?

The formula for calculating bullet velocity is: v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the bullet's drop.

2. How do I calculate the impact velocity of a bullet and block?

To calculate the impact velocity, you will need to use the formula: v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the bullet's drop. You will also need to know the mass and velocity of the bullet, as well as the mass and initial velocity of the block.

3. Can I use the same formula for different types of bullets and blocks?

Yes, as long as you have the necessary information (mass, velocity, and height) for both the bullet and the block, you can use the same formula to calculate the impact velocity for different types of bullets and blocks.

4. How accurate are the calculations for impact velocity?

The accuracy of the calculations for impact velocity will depend on the accuracy of the input values and the assumptions made in the calculations. It is important to use precise measurements and take into account variables such as air resistance and friction for more accurate results.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the impact velocity of a bullet and block?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the impact velocity of a bullet and block, such as the angle of impact, the material and density of the block, and external forces like wind or gravity. These factors should be taken into consideration when making calculations.