Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Solving Higher Degree Polynomial For Real Solution(s).

• Admin

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Find real solution(s) to the equation \(\displaystyle (x^2-9x-1)^{10}+99x^{10}=10x^9(x^2-1)\)

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Find real solution(s) to the equation \(\displaystyle (x^2-9x-1)^{10}+99x^{10}=10x^9(x^2-1)\)
Hint 1:
Divide both sides by $x^{10}$.
Hint 2:
Let $y = x-\frac1x$.
Hint 3:
What happens when $y=10$?
That will give you two real solutions. There are two others, but I do not think that they can be explicitly determined.

• Admin

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Hi Opalg,

I thank you for taking the time to share your helpful hints in this challenge problem.

My approach is different from yours and I wish to share it here too.

Hint 1:
We first rewrite the equation as \(\displaystyle (x^2-9x-1)^{10}-10x^9(x^2-9x-1)+9x^{10}=0\)

Hint 2:
Assume that \(\displaystyle (x^2-9x-1)^{10}+9x^{10}=10x^9(x^2-9x-1)\) is true.

Hint 3:
We need to show that \(\displaystyle (x^2-9x-1)^{10}=x^{10}\) and \(\displaystyle x^9(x^2-9x-1)=x^{10}\) are true by obtaining two equivalent equation, i.e. \(\displaystyle x^2-10x-1=0\) in order to prove our assumption is true.

Hint 4:
The original problem is solved if we solve for x for \(\displaystyle x^2-10x-1=0\)

That will give you two real solutions. There are two others, but I do not think that they can be explicitly determined.
I failed to realize that there are two other real solutions to this problem. Would you mind to teach me how to tell how many real solutions there are for this particular problem?

Thanks in advance.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
I failed to realize that there are two other real solutions to this problem. Would you mind to teach me how to tell how many real solutions there are for this particular problem?
That was my silly mistake. There are no other real solutions. Sorry about that.

• Admin

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
That was my silly mistake. There are no other real solutions. Sorry about that.
I see...hey, don't worry about that! :)

You are and always will be one of my favorite mathematicians at this site!:eek::p:)

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Graph it!! Hey, I'm a Physicist. (Beer) (Physics is always better with beer.)

-Dan

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012

-Dan
Indeed. I am now confident the real roots are between $-\infty$ and $+\infty$, more or less (Smoking)

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012

-Dan
Unfortunately in this case graphing in not a comfortable way to arrive to the solution (Wasntme)...

All is allways better with beer! (Beer)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$