Solving Hexagon Question: What Else Do I Need to Know?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ilikebugs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hexagon
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a hexagon by first finding the area of a square and then subtracting the areas of two triangles. The length of the diagonal of the square is determined, and using this, the altitude of one of the triangles is found. Finally, the area of the hexagon is calculated by subtracting the areas of the two triangles from the area of the square.
Ilikebugs
I know AM is 10... and that's it. I don't know.

View attachment 6182

Attachments

• POTW 9.png
    POTW 9.png
    34 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think what I would do to find the area of the hexagon, is to take the area of the entire square, and subtract the areas of $\triangle AMN$ and $\triangle CPQ$.

First, can you give the area of $\triangle AMN$?

50, because (10)(10/2)?

Yes, we have:

\(\displaystyle \triangle AMN=50\text{ cm}^2\)

Okay, now in the last diagram, consider the diagonal $\overline{AC}$ What is its length? If we look at where this diagonal intersects $\overline{MN}$ and $\overline{PQ}$ we see the it is divided into 2 equal segments and a third segment which is the altitude of $\triangle AMN$ with $\overline{MN}$ serving as the base. Can you find this altitude?

AC is the square root of 800, but I don't understand what else youre saying.

A square whose sides measure $x$ in length will have a diagonal of length $\sqrt{2}x$, which means $\overline{AC}=20\sqrt{2}\text{ cm}$, and this agrees with what you found when you simply.

Okay, so we now know the length of $\overline{AC}$. So next, we can subtract from this the altitude of $\triangle AMN$ where $\overline{MN}$ is the base. This will be half the distance of the diagonal of a square having side lengths of $10\text{ cm}$. Or, we can simply observe this is 1/4 of the length of $\overline{AC}$. So, we are left with 3/4 of the diagonal $\overline{AC}$ which we must cut in half to get the altitude of $\triangle {CPQ}$ where $\overline{PQ}$ is the base. What do you find?

3/8 of 20√2?

Let's observe that what we have is that:

\(\displaystyle x=\overline{PQ}=\frac{3}{4}20\sqrt{2}\text{ cm}=15\sqrt{2}\text{ cm}\)

Now, using our knowledge of the length of the diagonal of a square, we may state:

\(\displaystyle x=\sqrt{2}\overline{CP}\)

Can you now find $\overline{CP}$ and thus the area of $\triangle CPQ$?

15, so 15 times 7.5 which is 112.5?

Yes, that's correct...so what is the area of the hexagon?

400-162.5= 237.5?

Let's let $A$ be the area of the hexagon. We then have:

\(\displaystyle A=\left(20^2-\frac{1}{2}10^2-\frac{1}{2}15^2\right)\text{ cm}^2=\frac{475}{2}\,\text{cm}^2=237.5\text{ cm}^2\quad\checkmark\)

Good work! (Star)

Related to Solving Hexagon Question: What Else Do I Need to Know?

What is a hexagon?

A hexagon is a six-sided polygon with straight sides and angles.

How do I solve a hexagon question?

To solve a hexagon question, you will need to know the length of at least one side and the measure of at least one angle. You can then use formulas and equations to find the missing side lengths and angles.

What are some important properties of a hexagon?

Some important properties of a hexagon include: all angles must add up to 720 degrees, the opposite sides are parallel, and the opposite angles are equal.

What other shapes can be used to solve hexagon questions?

Other shapes that can be used to solve hexagon questions include triangles, rectangles, and parallelograms. These shapes can be used to create a hexagon and their properties can be used to find missing information.

What are some real-life applications of solving hexagon questions?

Solving hexagon questions can be useful in fields such as architecture, engineering, and design. It can also help in understanding and analyzing patterns and structures in nature.