Solving Heat Flow in a Rod: Initial & Boundary Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the initial and boundary conditions for a rod with insulating sides held at temperatures \(T_1\) and \(T_2\), and a temperature distribution as a function of \(x\) and \(t\) after the temperatures at the two ends are interchanged. The setup involves using an eigenfunction and solving for the constants \(a\) and \(b\) to determine the correct boundary conditions.
Dustinsfl
The temperatures at ends \(x = 0\) and \(x = \ell\) of a rod length \(\ell\) with insulating sides held at temperatures \(T_1\) and \(T_2\) until steady-state conditions prevail. Then, at the instant \(t = 0\), the temperatures of the two ends are
interchanged. Find the resultant temperature distibution as function of \(x\) and \(t\).

So the initial condition and boundary conditions are
\begin{align}
T(x,0) &= \frac{x}{\ell}(T_1 - T_2) + T_2\\
T_x(0,t) &= T_1\\
T_x(\ell,t) &= T_2
\end{align}
Let \(T(x,t) = \varphi(x)\psi(t)\). Then
\[
\frac{\varphi''}{\varphi} = \frac{1}{\alpha^2}\frac{\dot{\psi}}{\psi} = -k^2.
\]
Thus, \(\varphi(x)\sim\left\{\cos(kx), \sin(kx)\right\}\) and \(\psi(t)\sim\exp(-k^2\alpha^2t)\).

With these B.C.s, I get an extremely complicated eigenfunction. Is my setup correct?
If so, what can do about
\begin{alignat}{2}
\varphi_x(0) &= bk && ={} T_1\\
b &= \frac{T_1}{k}\\
\varphi_x(\ell) &= -ka\sin(k\ell) + T_1\cos(k\ell) && {}= T_2
\end{alignat}
If my setup is correct, how do I continue?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: heat flow in a rod

dwsmith said:
The temperatures at ends \(x = 0\) and \(x = \ell\) of a rod length \(\ell\) with insulating sides held at temperatures \(T_1\) and \(T_2\) until steady-state conditions prevail. Then, at the instant \(t = 0\), the temperatures of the two ends are
interchanged. Find the resultant temperature distibution as function of \(x\) and \(t\).

So the initial condition and boundary conditions are
\begin{align}
T(x,0) &= \frac{x}{\ell}(T_1 - T_2) + T_2\\
T_x(0,t) &= T_1\\
T_x(\ell,t) &= T_2
\end{align}
Let \(T(x,t) = \varphi(x)\psi(t)\). Then
\[
\frac{\varphi''}{\varphi} = \frac{1}{\alpha^2}\frac{\dot{\psi}}{\psi} = -k^2.
\]
Thus, \(\varphi(x)\sim\left\{\cos(kx), \sin(kx)\right\}\) and \(\psi(t)\sim\exp(-k^2\alpha^2t)\).

With these B.C.s, I get an extremely complicated eigenfunction. Is my setup correct?
If so, what can do about
\begin{alignat}{2}
\varphi_x(0) &= bk && ={} T_1\\
b &= \frac{T_1}{k}\\
\varphi_x(\ell) &= -ka\sin(k\ell) + T_1\cos(k\ell) && {}= T_2
\end{alignat}
If my setup is correct, how do I continue?

I now remember what to do for these type of problems.

I also found out that the insulated portion is supposed to be about the lateral surface; that is, the BC should be Dirichlet not Neumann.

Last edited:

Related to Solving Heat Flow in a Rod: Initial & Boundary Conditions

1. What is heat flow in a rod?

Heat flow in a rod refers to the transfer of thermal energy from one end of the rod to the other. This is commonly seen in objects such as metal rods, where heat is transferred through conduction.

2. What are initial conditions in solving heat flow in a rod?

Initial conditions refer to the starting values of temperature and heat flow at the beginning of the analysis. These values are necessary to accurately predict the heat flow throughout the rod.

3. What are boundary conditions in solving heat flow in a rod?

Boundary conditions refer to the constraints placed at the ends of the rod, which affect the flow of heat. These conditions can include the temperature at the ends of the rod, the material properties, and the presence of any external heat sources.

4. How do you solve heat flow in a rod?

Heat flow in a rod can be solved using mathematical equations such as Fourier's law of heat conduction and the heat equation. These equations take into account the initial and boundary conditions to calculate the temperature and heat flow at different points along the rod.

5. What factors can affect heat flow in a rod?

Several factors can affect heat flow in a rod, including the material properties of the rod, its length and cross-sectional area, the initial and boundary conditions, and any external heat sources. The thermal conductivity and temperature difference between the ends of the rod also play a significant role in heat flow.