Solving Genetics Problem: Y-Linked Recessive Trait Inheritance

• Biology
  • Thread starter jena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary: I think I can figure it out myself.In summary, the mechanism of inheritance for the trait is heterozygous recessive. People who are heterozygous for the trait are those who have two alleles of different types. If III-3 and III-4 marry, the probability that their first child will have the trait is 25%.
jena
My Question:
  • What is the mechanism of inheritance for the trait?
  • Which people in the pedigree are known to be heterozygous for the trait?
  • What is the probability that III-2 is a carrier( heterozygous)?
  • If III-3 and III-4 marry, what is the probability that their first child will have the trait?

Picture

View attachment Doc3.docView attachment Doc3.doc

My Answers:
  • Y-Linked recessive
  • I1, I2, II1, and II2
  • ?
  • ?
Of the answers I have so far are these correct?
Thank You :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using the usual convention that males are represented by squares and females by circles? If so, how would it be Y-linked if only females are affected? If you reconsider part 1, the rest will be easier to answer once you've gotten that part.

Opps:blushing:
Wouldn't it be X-linked recessive since it couldn't be x-linked dominant otherwise one of the parents would of had it, right?

Also for these questions:

What is the probability that III-2 is a carrier( heterozygous)?
Answer: 50%

If III-3 and III-4 marry, what is the probability that their first child will have the trait?
Answer: 25%

Do I just need to figure them by making a punnett square based off the parents?

Thank You

Last edited:
jena said:
Opps:blushing:
Wouldn't it be X-linked recessive since it couldn't be x-linked dominant otherwise one of the parents would of had it, right?
Correct.

With that information, you also have to go back to your answer for the second part.

Also for these questions:
What is the probability that III-2 is a carrier( heterozygous)?
Answer: 50%
Correct.

If III-3 and III-4 marry, what is the probability that their first child will have the trait?
Answer: 25%
Do I just need to figure them by making a punnett square based off the parents?
Thank You
Yes and yes. I think you're getting the hang of this. :smile:

jena said:
My Question:
  • What is the mechanism of inheritance for the trait?

• After meosis , when male and female gametes are fused , each gamete consists of a single gene. When two gamete fuse , they give genotypes which are combinations of alleles. Depending on the nature of the alleles , the phenotypes are formed. This phenotype when expressed shows the particular trait in the individual.

[*]Which people in the pedigree are known to be heterozygous for the trait?

People heterozygous for trait are those whose genotype for that particular trait has two alleles each of different type.

[*]If III-3 and III-4 marry, what is the probability that their first child will have the trait?

Draw the punnett table and see for yourself.

BJ

I had a similar question, but what would the punnett square look like? Say A = dominant allele and a = recessive allele, then II1: Aa, II2: Aa (parents of III3) and II3: aa, II4: ? (parents of III4)

Would II4 be homozygous dominant (AA) since none of the children have it?

My question also asks to determine the probability using "the law of probability that relates to the simultaneous occurrence of independent events—the product law". I'm unsure of what this means...

Never mind about the punnett square

Related to Solving Genetics Problem: Y-Linked Recessive Trait Inheritance

1. What is a Y-linked recessive trait?

A Y-linked recessive trait is a genetic condition or characteristic that is passed down from a father to his son through the Y chromosome. This means that only males can inherit the trait and it is always expressed, as they only have one copy of the Y chromosome.

2. How is a Y-linked recessive trait inherited?

A Y-linked recessive trait is inherited in a simple Mendelian pattern, where the trait is passed down from a father to his son through the Y chromosome. This means that if a father has the trait, all of his sons will also have the trait.

3. Can females be carriers of a Y-linked recessive trait?

No, females cannot be carriers of a Y-linked recessive trait because they do not have a Y chromosome. They can only inherit the trait if they have two copies of the Y chromosome, which is a very rare condition.

4. What is the chance of inheriting a Y-linked recessive trait?

The chance of inheriting a Y-linked recessive trait is 100% for males who have a father with the trait. Females have a 0% chance of inheriting the trait unless they have two copies of the Y chromosome.

5. How can Y-linked recessive traits be identified or diagnosed?

Y-linked recessive traits can be identified or diagnosed through genetic testing or by tracing the trait through a family's male lineage. Doctors may also look for physical characteristics or symptoms associated with the trait to make a diagnosis.