Solving Gauss' Law for a VDG Dome: Electric Field at 25cm

In summary, the problem involves using Gauss' law to find the charge density on a Van Der Graff dome that is charged to 100kV. The electric field strength at a specific point is also requested. The solution involves defining a Gaussian surface as a sphere outside the dome and using the given information to find the charge enclosed and then calculate the charge density. The second part of the problem may involve some confusion as to whether the sphere is hollow or full, but either way, the electric field at the specified point would be zero with no calculation required. The 100kV is likely only needed to find the total charge. The design of the Van Der Graff generator takes advantage of this concept by depositing charges from the inside rather than
flash

Homework Statement

Use Gauss' law to find the charge density on a Van Der Graff dome (r=40cm) if it is charged to 100kV. What is the electric field strength at r=25cm?

I understand gauss's law and I know that I need to use it to find the total charge enclosed on the dome. I can then work out the surface area of the dome and calculate charge density.

If I define a gaussian surface to be a sphere outside the dome, I can work out the charge enclosed if i know the electric field at the gaussian surface. I figure I must use the 100kV given to find the field at the gaussian surface, but I don't understand how.

Also, I need a little help with the second part of the problem. That radius given is inside the dome, unsure of where to go there.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, as a starting point, what are the equations that you have to work with?

Also, as a matter of curiosity, what level of physics is this (I'm assuming a university calc based intro E&M), and what math have you taken?

Check out http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/potsph.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
flash said:

Homework Statement

Use Gauss' law to find the charge density on a Van Der Graff dome (r=40cm) if it is charged to 100kV. What is the electric field strength at r=25cm?

I understand gauss's law and I know that I need to use it to find the total charge enclosed on the dome. I can then work out the surface area of the dome and calculate charge density.

If I define a gaussian surface to be a sphere outside the dome, I can work out the charge enclosed if i know the electric field at the gaussian surface. I figure I must use the 100kV given to find the field at the gaussian surface, but I don't understand how.

Also, I need a little help with the second part of the problem. That radius given is inside the dome, unsure of where to go there.

Thanks for any help.

That's probably a stupid question but I am wondering...is the sphere meant to be hollow or full? If it's hollow (which makes more sense), then the E field inside the dome will be zero since there is no net charge enclosed (I am assuming a complete sphere, in an actual VdG there is of course a part of the sphere cut out but here I assume they mean to ignore that). The 100 kV is not needed. So I must not understand the question!:confused:

nrqed said:
That's probably a stupid question but I am wondering...is the sphere meant to be hollow or full? If it's hollow (which makes more sense), then the E field inside the dome will be zero since there is no net charge enclosed (I am assuming a complete sphere, in an actual VdG there is of course a part of the sphere cut out but here I assume they mean to ignore that). The 100 kV is not needed. So I must not understand the question!:confused:

I think Van der Graaff generators usually use a hollow sphere. In any case, they use a metal sphere, so any charge would be on the outside of the sphere.

siddharth said:
I think Van der Graaff generators usually use a hollow sphere. In any case, they use a metal sphere, so any charge would be on the outside of the sphere.

Ok. So whether it is a hollow sphere or a full conducting sphere, the E field at 25 cm would be zero with no calculation required. (I guess the 100 kV was just needed to find the total charge)

Thanks for your input

nrqed said:
... the E field at 25 cm would be zero with no calculation required. (I guess the 100 kV was just needed to find the total charge)
Isn't it interesting how the E field is zero on the inside of a [perfectly enclosed] hollow conductive sphere? This why the VanDeGraff was designed to deposit charge from the inside rather than outside. Imagine how difficult it would be to deliver charges from the outside, always working against the field produced by the previously deposited charges.

Related to Solving Gauss' Law for a VDG Dome: Electric Field at 25cm

What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the electric charge enclosed within a surface surrounding that point. It is named after the German mathematician and physicist Carl Friedrich Gauss.

What is a VDG Dome?

A VDG (Van de Graaff) Dome is a type of electrostatic generator that produces high voltages using a moving belt and a metal sphere. It is commonly used in physics demonstrations and experiments.

How do you solve Gauss' Law for a VDG Dome?

To solve Gauss' Law for a VDG Dome, you need to first identify the symmetry of the electric field around the dome. Then, you can use the formula for Gauss' Law, which states that the electric field at a point is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space multiplied by the surface area of the closed surface.

What is the electric field at 25cm from a VDG Dome?

The electric field at 25cm from a VDG Dome can be calculated using the formula for Gauss' Law. The exact value will depend on the charge enclosed within the surface, the permittivity of free space, and the surface area of the closed surface. It is recommended to use a calculator or a computer program to solve for the electric field.

Can Gauss' Law be used to calculate the electric field at any point?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be used to calculate the electric field at any point as long as the charge enclosed within the surface and the symmetry of the electric field are known. It is a powerful tool for solving problems in electromagnetism and is widely used in the field of physics and engineering.