Solving Frequency of Damped Oscillations

In summary, to find the frequency of the damped oscillations in this problem, you will need to use the period equation for a damped harmonic oscillator, the equation for the angular frequency, and Hooke's Law to find the spring constant.
pilotman

Homework Statement

A mass of 0.5kg hangs on a spring. When an additional mass of 0.2kg is attached to the spring, the spring stretches an additional .04m. When the 02kg mass is abruptly removed, the amplitude of the ensuing oscillations of the 05 kg mass is observed to decrease to 1/e of its initial value in 1.0s. Calculate the frequency of the damped oscillations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start this problem. What I'm looking for is someone to give me a push in the right direction so that I can work the rest! please help me start! Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are dealing with a damped harmonic oscillator in this problem. To start, you will need to use the equation for the period of a damped harmonic oscillator, which is given by T=2π/ω, where T is the period and ω is the angular frequency. To find the angular frequency, you will need to use the equation ω=√(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass. You can find the spring constant by using Hooke's Law, which states that F=-kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium. Once you have the angular frequency, you can use the equation for the period to find the frequency, which is given by f=1/T. I hope this helps you get started on solving the problem. Good luck!

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and their relationships. In this case, we have a mass (m), a spring constant (k), and a damping factor (e). These variables are related through the equation for damped oscillations:

f = 1/2π * √(k/m - (e/2m)^2)

To solve for the frequency, we need to first find the values for k and e. We can do this by using the given information about the masses and the displacement of the spring.

From the given information, we can calculate the spring constant (k) using the equation F = kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring and x is the displacement.

F = mg = (0.5kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 4.9N

Using this value for F and the given displacement (.04m), we can solve for k:

k = F/x = (4.9N)/(.04m) = 122.5 N/m

Next, we can use the information about the damping factor (e) to solve for its value. We know that the amplitude decreases to 1/e of its initial value in 1.0s, so we can set up the equation:

1/e = A/A0 = e^(-1)

Solving for e, we get e = 1/e^(-1) = 0.3678

Now, we have all the necessary values to plug into the equation for frequency:

f = 1/2π * √(122.5 N/m / (0.5kg) - (0.3678/2(0.5kg))^2)

Simplifying, we get f ≈ 0.79 Hz

Therefore, the frequency of the damped oscillations is approximately 0.79 Hz.

Related to Solving Frequency of Damped Oscillations

What are damped oscillations?

Damped oscillations are a type of motion where the amplitude of the oscillation decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force. This force acts to dissipate the energy of the system, causing the oscillations to gradually decrease in magnitude.

How is the frequency of damped oscillations calculated?

The frequency of damped oscillations can be calculated using the equation f = 1/(2π√(m/k)), where f is the frequency, m is the mass of the oscillating object, and k is the spring constant of the system.

What factors affect the frequency of damped oscillations?

The frequency of damped oscillations is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the system, and the amount of damping present. A higher mass or spring constant will result in a lower frequency, while a higher amount of damping will decrease the frequency even further.

How is the damping ratio related to the frequency of damped oscillations?

The damping ratio, represented by the symbol ζ, is a dimensionless parameter that relates the amount of damping present in a system to the natural frequency of the oscillations. A higher damping ratio results in a lower natural frequency and a faster decrease in amplitude over time.

What are some real-world applications of damped oscillations?

Damped oscillations can be seen in many systems in everyday life, such as car suspensions, shock absorbers, and musical instruments. They are also used in engineering and physics to study the behavior of mechanical systems and to design structures that can withstand vibrations and oscillations.