Solving $\frac{\sin(x-1)}{x^2+x-2}$ Without L'Hopital's Rule

In summary, the conversation is about solving a limit of the form 0/0 without using L'Hopital's rule. One person suggests factoring the denominator and using the limit $\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin x}{x}=1$. Another person makes a mistake in their factorization, but eventually realizes their mistake and factors the denominator correctly. They then simplify the expression and find the limit to be 1/3. The conversation then turns to verifying the answer using L'Hopital's rule, and another person suggests using a substitution to solve the limit. Finally, there is a discussion about whether it is permissible to cancel out terms in the limit $\lim_{x\to1}\frac{\sin
Petrus
Hello,
I would like to solve this without lhopitals rule aswel( i succed get the answer 1/3 with lhopitals rule but do not go well without)
$$\lim_{x \to 1}\frac{\sin(x-1)}{x^2+x-2}$$
Any tips i would like to have

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Trig limit

Hint , try first factorizing the denominator , and use \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0 }\frac{\sin x}{x}=1\).

Re: Trig limit

ZaidAlyafey said:
Hint , try first factorizing the denominator , and use \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0 }\frac{\sin x}{x}=1\).
Hello ZaidAlyafey,
I can factor out $x(x+1-2/x)$ but How can I use that..? My lim goes to 1 but to Apply that law the lim goes to 0. I se that it Will be zero on sin(1-1) but not on denominator

Your factorization of the denominator is not what Zaid intended. Please see:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f49/factoring-quadratics-3396/

for a tutorial on how to factor quadratics. You should find that the denominator factors nicely into two linear factors, one of which is $(x-1)$.

Let us know what you find. :D

Hello,
i keep doing bad move.. Don't get me wrong i never thought about that x-1... $(x-1)(x+2)$
Don't get me wrong i was not thinking this ohh well i learn by My misstake!

When solving limits of the form 0/0 , you should try to eliminate the term which makes the denominator and numerator zero , like for this example the term is (x-1) so we should foresee a way to expose it then cancel it ...

Petrus said:
Hello,
i keep doing bad move.. Don't get me wrong i never thought about that x-1... $(x-1)(x+2)$
Don't get me wrong i was not thinking this ohh well i learn by My misstake!

Hello Petrus,

Part of learning is making mistakes, so don't get discouraged by it. It is through our mistakes that we learn the most, as you wisely pointed out.

Can you now state the given limit the product of two limits, both of which you can evaluate?

MarkFL said:
Hello Petrus,

Part of learning is making mistakes, so don't get discouraged by it. It is through our mistakes that we learn the most, as you wisely pointed out.

Can you now state the given limit the product of two limits, both of which you can evaluate?
Well after factour that and simplify i get $$\lim_{x \to 1}\frac{1}{x+2}$$ = 1/3

Petrus said:
Well after factour that and simplify i get $$\lim_{x \to 1}\frac{1}{x+2}$$ = 1/3

You can use LH to verify your answer ...

ZaidAlyafey said:
You can use LH to verify your answer ...
What does LH means?

Petrus said:
What does LH means?

Oh ,sorry , I thought that was ambiguous , I meant the L'Hopitals rule ...

Petrus said:

This is more what I had in mind:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to1}\frac{\sin(x-1)}{x^2+x-2}=\lim_{x\to1} \frac{\sin(x-1)}{(x-1)(x+2)}=\lim_{x\to1} \frac{\sin(x-1)}{x-1}\cdot\lim_{x\to1}\frac{1}{x+2}=1 \cdot\frac{1}{3}=\frac{1}{3}\)

But, as long as you understand the steps involved, this is what is ultimately most important. :D

Last edited:
We can as well use the substitution x-1=t then we have :

\(\displaystyle \lim_{t\to 0}\frac{\sin(t)}{t(t+3)}=\frac{\lim_{\,t\to 0}\frac{\sin(t)}{t}}{3}=\frac{1}{3}\)

MarkFL said:
This is what more I had in mind:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to1}\frac{\sin(x-1)}{x^2+x-2}=\lim_{x\to1} \frac{\sin(x-1)}{(x-1)(x+2)}=\lim_{x\to1} \frac{\sin(x-1)}{x-1}\cdot\lim_{x\to1}\frac{1}{x+2}=1 \cdot\frac{1}{3}=\frac{1}{3}\)

But, as long as you understand the steps involved, this is what is ultimately most important. :D
Hello Mark,
i wanted to ask if its wrong to define \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to1} \frac{\sin(x-1)}{(x-1)(x+2)}=\lim_{x\to1} \frac{1}{x+2}\) what i mean is that on paper I would draw a line on $\sin(x-1)$ and $x-1$ that means they would take out each?

Last edited by a moderator:
You may casually cancel the two, as long as you are mindful that you are not dividing them out in the traditional sense of reducing a fraction, but you are only doing so in light of the result:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{\theta\to0}\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\theta}=1\)

On an exam, I would highly recommend making a note of this to let your professor know exactly what you are doing, otherwise you may have points deducted.

Related to Solving $\frac{\sin(x-1)}{x^2+x-2}$ Without L'Hopital's Rule

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule and why shouldn't it be used to solve this problem?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms in calculus. However, in this specific problem, it is not necessary to use L'Hopital's Rule because there are alternative methods that can be used to solve it.

2. What are the alternate methods for solving this problem?

One method is to use the limit definition of the derivative, which involves finding the limit of a difference quotient. Another method is to use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression before taking the limit.

3. How do I use the limit definition of the derivative to solve this problem?

To use the limit definition of the derivative, you need to rewrite the expression as a difference quotient, where the numerator and denominator both approach 0 as x approaches the given value. Then, you can apply limit rules and algebraic manipulation to find the limit.

4. Can you explain the trigonometric identities used in solving this problem?

The identities used in this problem include the double angle identity for sine and the sum and difference identities for sine and cosine. These identities can be used to rewrite the expression in a simpler form, making it easier to evaluate the limit without using L'Hopital's Rule.

5. What are the benefits of solving this problem without using L'Hopital's Rule?

Solving this problem without using L'Hopital's Rule allows for a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles involved in finding limits. It also promotes critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to recognize and apply relevant trigonometric identities.