Solving Fourier Inverse: Integrals and Techniques for Exam Revision

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the inverse of a given function using a table, and the suggestion to use the convolution theorem and the formula for inverse Fourier transform. The conversation also mentions the use of the theorem of residues and the need to revise complex analysis concepts.
usn7564

Homework Statement

Doing some exam revision and one of the questions from an old exam has me stuck at the last step, simply need to inverse the following

[tex]F( \omega ) = \frac{e^{i \omega}}{1+\omega ^2} [/tex]

We're allowed to use a table on the exams but I cannot find anything quite resembling what I have (nor in any way that I can manipulate it). The inverse formula lead me to an integral that seems to be well over my head or the content of this course.

Is there some specific method to utilize when I have a product of two functions whose Fourier inverse I know? The exponential or denominator on its own wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the convolution theorem.

Likes 1 person
For the inverse FT just use the formula. I don't know your convention. In theoretical high-energy physics it would read
[tex]f(t)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} \omega \frac{1}{2 \pi} F(\omega) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t).[/tex]
Now you can use the theorem of residues easily in your case. You just close the contour in the appropriate upper or lower half-plane for [itex]t<0[/itex] or [itex]t>0[/itex] respectively. Your function has only simple poles along the imaginary axis. So there is no big trouble getting the result.

Likes 1 person
vela said:
Use the convolution theorem.
Didn't think of going backwards with the convolution theorem, that should certainly work thank you.

vanhees71 said:
For the inverse FT just use the formula. I don't know your convention. In theoretical high-energy physics it would read
[tex]f(t)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} \omega \frac{1}{2 \pi} F(\omega) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t).[/tex]
Now you can use the theorem of residues easily in your case. You just close the contour in the appropriate upper or lower half-plane for [itex]t<0[/itex] or [itex]t>0[/itex] respectively. Your function has only simple poles along the imaginary axis. So there is no big trouble getting the result.
Only half a year since I finished our course in complex analysis and the fact that I could use residues completely slipped my mind, thanks. Going to need to revise that a tiny bit, but was rather algorithmic if I recall correctly.

Related to Solving Fourier Inverse: Integrals and Techniques for Exam Revision

1. What is the Fourier Inverse and why is it important?

The Fourier Inverse is a mathematical operation that allows us to calculate the original function from its Fourier transform. It is important in various fields such as signal processing, image reconstruction, and solving differential equations.

2. How do you solve Fourier Inverse integrals?

There are several techniques for solving Fourier Inverse integrals, including the use of the inverse Fourier transform formula, the use of complex analysis, and the use of Fourier series. It is important to understand the properties of the Fourier transform and choose the appropriate technique for the given problem.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Fourier Inverse integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Fourier Inverse integrals include forgetting to account for the integration limits, not understanding the properties of the Fourier transform, and not simplifying the expression before attempting to find the inverse.

4. How can I prepare for an exam on solving Fourier Inverse integrals?

To prepare for an exam on solving Fourier Inverse integrals, it is important to review the properties of the Fourier transform and practice solving various types of inverse integrals. It can also be helpful to work through past exam questions and seek assistance from a tutor or professor if needed.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve Fourier Inverse integrals?

Yes, calculators can be used to solve Fourier Inverse integrals. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in the process and not solely rely on the calculator. It is also important to ensure that the calculator is set to the correct settings for performing Fourier transforms and inverse transforms.