Solving for x: A Narrow Bridge Challenge

In summary, the problem involves a person crossing a 1km long bridge while a truck approaches at 90km/h. The person can run at 5m/s and needs to determine how far from the far end they must be in order to reach either end just before being hit by the truck. The solution involves calculating the time needed to reach the end of the bridge and comparing it to the time the truck needs to reach the end. There are two possible answers to this problem.
qswdefrg

Homework Statement

You are crossing a narrow bridge 1km long when you notice a truck approaching at 90km/h. If you can run at 5m/s, how far from the far end must you be if you could reach either end just before being hit by the truck?

2ltgg1j.jpg

My attempt

Displacement between the two: 1000 - x + d
When displacement is 0, they will meet? I can't seem to solve for x... I end up with more variables than I have equations. :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Express the time you need to reach bridge end as a function of x, calculate the time truck needs to reach the end of the bridge. If truck needs more time, you will make it.

Note that there are two answers to the question.

Related to Solving for x: A Narrow Bridge Challenge

1. How do I solve for x in the Narrow Bridge Challenge?

To solve for x in the Narrow Bridge Challenge, you will need to use algebraic equations and principles to isolate the variable x and find its value. This may involve combining like terms, distributing, and solving for x on both sides of the equation.

2. Can you provide an example of solving for x in the Narrow Bridge Challenge?

Sure! Let's say the equation for the Narrow Bridge Challenge is 3x + 8 = 20. To solve for x, we first subtract 8 from both sides to get 3x = 12. Then, we divide both sides by 3 to isolate x and find that x = 4.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving for x in the Narrow Bridge Challenge?

One common mistake is forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation. Another is not following the correct order of operations, leading to an incorrect solution. It's also important to carefully check your work and make sure all steps are accounted for.

4. Is there a specific strategy for solving for x in the Narrow Bridge Challenge?

Yes, a useful strategy is to start by simplifying the equation as much as possible by combining like terms or distributing. Then, isolate the variable x by performing the necessary operations on both sides of the equation. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it is correct.

5. Are there any tips for solving for x in the Narrow Bridge Challenge?

One tip is to be patient and take your time when solving for x. Rushing through the steps can lead to mistakes. It's also helpful to show all your work and clearly label each step to keep track of your progress. If you get stuck, try going back to the basics and review algebraic principles.