Solving for Velocity and Acceleration Error: A Confusing Task

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about determining acceleration and error from a set of values for time and velocity, with given errors for each point. The method involves plotting the points with error bars, but the question asks if using the slope of the graph without error bars and comparing it to the expected value is a valid method. The person is confused and seeking help.
h6872
Hi everybody!

This might seem like a terribly easy question, but I can't seem to figure it out for the life of me. I've been given a set of values for time and velocity:

t (s) v (m/s)
0 0
3 7
7 16
12 33
18 48
23 53
27 67
34 86

And told that the errors at (delta)t = 0.2 s and (delta)v = 3.0 m/s are the same for all experimental points.

How would I go about determining the error for these values individually (as I'll have to graph the points)? The question asks for the acceleration and error, and the method I've been given seems to involve plotting each point with its associated error bars.

But couldn't I use the slope of my graph (if I plot these points without the error bars) to determine acceleration, and take the acceleration calculated from 3.0/0.2 as my expected value, and use the: (|your value-standard value|)/standard value equation?

And yet, I've been explicitly told not to consider this difference an error.

Please help! I'm completely confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework?

Hello there! Solving for velocity and acceleration error can definitely be a confusing task, but I'm here to help. First, let's start with the concept of error. In this case, we are looking at the difference between the measured value and the true value. So, in your case, the error for each point would be the difference between the measured velocity and the expected velocity (calculated from the slope of your graph). You can then use the formula (|measured value - expected value|)/expected value to calculate the percentage error for each point.

Now, for the acceleration, you are correct in thinking that you can use the slope of your graph to determine the acceleration. However, it's important to also consider the errors for each point. This is where the error bars come in. By plotting the points with their associated error bars, you can see the range of possible values for each point. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the acceleration and its associated error.

So, to summarize, you can use the slope of your graph to determine the acceleration, but it's important to also consider the errors for each point and use them to calculate the overall error for the acceleration. I hope this helps clarify things for you and good luck with your calculations!

Related to Solving for Velocity and Acceleration Error: A Confusing Task

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing.

2. Why is solving for velocity and acceleration error important?

Solving for velocity and acceleration error allows us to accurately measure an object's motion and understand the forces acting upon it. This is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

3. How do you calculate velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. Both velocity and acceleration can also be calculated using the equations v = u + at and a = (v-u)/t, where u is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity, t is the time interval, and a is the acceleration.

4. What are some common sources of error when solving for velocity and acceleration?

Some common sources of error include measurement errors, human error, equipment malfunction, and external forces such as friction or air resistance. It is important to carefully consider and account for these potential errors in order to obtain accurate results.

5. How can we reduce error when solving for velocity and acceleration?

To reduce error, it is important to use precise and calibrated measuring instruments, repeat experiments multiple times, and average the results. It is also helpful to minimize external forces by conducting experiments in controlled environments and using techniques such as air resistance compensation.