Solving for Unstretched Length in Jump Problem: ##l_0 = 97.5m##

In summary, the man with a mass of 75kg jumps off a bridge with an initial velocity of 1.5 m/s. The unstretched length of the cord, l0, is determined to be either 97.5m or 203m, depending on the physical constraints and solving a quadratic equation. However, the computation may not be entirely accurate as it assumes the bungee jumper will come to a complete stop at the bottom.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

The ##m = 75kg## man jumps off the bridge with ##v_1 = 1.5 m/s##. Determine the unstretched length ##l_0## of the cord in order that he stops momentarily above the surface of the water. The stiffness is ##k = 80 N/m##.

Picture: http://gyazo.com/80220984e620ed5fc0c58c8207e79ba9

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is one of those problems they don't give the answer for and I'm wondering if this is okay.

I drew my FBD stick figure with the Datum plane located through position A. I then used conservation:

##T_1 + V_1 = T_2 + V_2##

Since I stuck the datum plane at the top where the man is, he currently posses no potential energy at all, only kinetic.

In the final phase, the man has lost all of his kinetic energy and it is now in the form of potential. So we have:

##\frac{1}{2} (75) (1.5)^2 + 0 = 0 - (75)(9.81)(150) + \frac{1}{2} (80) (150 - l_0)^2##

Which is quadratic in ##l_0##. Solving I obtain ##l_{0_1} = 203m##, which makes no physical sense at all since it exceeds the jumping height. ##l_{0_2} = 97.5m##, which seems reasonable.

Does this look okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your answers are correct. He falls for ##l_0## meters at which point the rope becomes taut. Over the next ##150 - l_0## meters, two forces act on him, tension and gravity. Each force does work but ##W_{tension} - W_{gravity} = E_k##. This gives a pretty complicated formula that can be solved for ##l_0##. With some computer help I got the same two answers: 202.55m and 97.45m.

Likes 1 person
The reason you get the extra root, is because [itex] (150-l_0)^2 [/itex] is positive if l0>150, so the potential energy is positive. This is true for a spring with length l0 , but not for a bungee cord which has 0 potential energy if the cord is longer than the height of the fall.

Your computation is rather dangerous, because it will produce the right result if the bungee jumper comes to a stop at the bottom, but if the bungee jumper does not come to a stop, you might still get a result.

Related to Solving for Unstretched Length in Jump Problem: ##l_0 = 97.5m##

1. What is the significance of "unstretched length" in a jump problem?

The unstretched length, represented by ##l_0##, refers to the initial length of a spring or elastic material before any external force is applied. In a jump problem, this refers to the length of the spring or elastic material at the moment the jumper begins their jump.

2. How is ##l_0## calculated in a jump problem?

The unstretched length, or ##l_0##, can be calculated by measuring the length of the spring or elastic material when it is not being stretched or compressed. This can be done by using a ruler or measuring tape before the jumper begins their jump.

3. Why is it important to solve for ##l_0## in a jump problem?

Solving for ##l_0## allows for a more accurate calculation of the length of the spring or elastic material during the jump. This can help determine the amount of force or energy used in the jump, and can also be used to analyze the jumper's technique.

4. How does the value of ##l_0## affect a jump problem?

The value of ##l_0## affects the overall length of the spring or elastic material during the jump. If the value of ##l_0## is longer, the spring or elastic material will have more potential to stretch, resulting in a longer jump. If the value of ##l_0## is shorter, the spring or elastic material will have less potential to stretch, resulting in a shorter jump.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the calculation of ##l_0## in a jump problem?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the calculation of ##l_0##, such as the elasticity of the spring or elastic material, the weight of the jumper, and the height of the jump. These factors should be taken into consideration when solving for ##l_0## in a jump problem.