Solving for Two Vector Questions

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, In part 1, the equations ##\vec{A} = \vec{A}_x + \vec{A}_y + \vec{A}_z = A_x \hat{i} + A_y \hat{j} + A_z \hat{k}## hold. The relationship between the vectors ##\vec{A}##, ##\vec{B}##, and ##\vec{C}## can be found using the magnitude and direction of ##\vec{B}##. In part 2, find a vector ##\vec{C}## such that ##\vec{A}+\vec{B}+\vec{C}=
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I have two questions.

1. For the three vectors shown in this diagram: http://gyazo.com/9a23c78c8a52db6dde1ca52aee9cd2f0

The relationship ##\vec{A} + \vec{B} + \vec{C} = 1\hat{j}## holds. Write ##\vec{B}## in component form and then write ##\vec{B}## as a magnitude and direction.

2. The following figure shows two vectors ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}##: http://gyazo.com/750754b5c6589491df5f22788e9b3281

Find a vector ##\vec{C}## such that ##\vec{A} + \vec{B} + \vec{C} = 0## and use component form to do so.

Homework Equations

##\vec{A} = \vec{A}_x + \vec{A}_y + \vec{A}_z = A_x \hat{i} + A_y \hat{j} + A_z \hat{k}##

The Attempt at a Solution

My work for part 1 and part 2 are displayed below:

Part 1: http://gyazo.com/9b03c43d7bbc1cb69ded51b9b0637b77

Part 2: http://gyazo.com/6fe9e06cfb189cd8ce6ab1c24811deec

Hopefully I've done these properly. If someone could help me verify it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1a. Correct, but incomplete. Use should have used the given values for the components (what you did in 1b).

1b. I agree with the magnitude. The angle, however - with respect to what is it 37 degree? Usually it is taken with respect to the x axis, but it is clearly seen from the picture that it is between 90 and 180 degrees. And the final expression you obtained does not make any sense to me at all.

2. I agree with the method. I have not checked the numbers, though.

Thanks for the reply voko.

voko said:
1a. Correct, but incomplete. Use should have used the given values for the components (what you did in 1b).

1b. I agree with the magnitude. The angle, however - with respect to what is it 37 degree? Usually it is taken with respect to the x axis, but it is clearly seen from the picture that it is between 90 and 180 degrees. And the final expression you obtained does not make any sense to me at all.

Question 1 was split into 2 parts, namely a) and b). For part a) I think I only had to write the component form down.

For part 1 b) though, I'm not sure I understand what I've done wrong. When I found the components for ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{C}##, I switched everything so it would be in the first quadrant by adding a negative sign to ##C_y## (the book I'm using wants me to do this).

When I wrote my final answer, namely ##\vec{B} = 5 [-x 36.87° +y]##, I intended it to mean ##36.87°## above the negative x axis. So ##-x## is like west and ##+y## is like north.

voko said:
2. I agree with the method. I have not checked the numbers, though.

I'm sure if 1 is okay, 2 will be fine.

Zondrina said:
Question 1 was split into 2 parts, namely a) and b). For part a) I think I only had to write the component form down.

I believe you were supposed to write the component form not just in symbols, but in concrete numbers.

When I wrote my final answer, namely ##\vec{B} = 5 [-x 36.87° +y]##, I intended it to mean ##36.87°## above the negative x axis. So ##-x## is like west and ##+y## is like north.

This isn't a notation I am familiar with, but if that is what your textbook and you teachers understand, use it. If the angle is measured from the west, then it is OK.

Likes 1 person
voko said:
I believe you were supposed to write the component form not just in symbols, but in concrete numbers.

This isn't a notation I am familiar with, but if that is what your textbook and you teachers understand, use it. If the angle is measured from the west, then it is OK.

This is just some self study. I'm trying to plow through phys for scientist & engineers by Randall d. Knight since I got tired of not knowing any real physics :).

I think I'll switch back to the old NESW convention as it's probably less confusing to me and any potential readers.

Thank you for your help though. Hard to tell if you're doing something properly if there's no teacher.

Related to Solving for Two Vector Questions

1. How do you solve for two vector questions?

To solve for two vector questions, you will need to use vector addition and subtraction. This involves adding or subtracting the corresponding components of the two vectors to find the resultant vector.

2. What is the formula for solving for two vectors?

The formula for solving for two vectors is: Resultant vector = Vector A + Vector B. This means that you add the components of Vector A to the components of Vector B to find the resultant vector.

3. Can you solve for two vector questions without using a formula?

Yes, you can solve for two vector questions without using a formula. This can be done by drawing a vector diagram and using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

4. How do you find the magnitude of the resultant vector?

The magnitude of the resultant vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem: c = √(a² + b²), where c is the magnitude and a and b are the components of the resultant vector.

5. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities have only magnitude and no direction, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include temperature and mass, while examples of vector quantities include velocity and force.