Solving for two unknowns in a 2-D elastic collision. HELP

In summary, the problem is that two pucks collide and the angles they fly apart at are 65 degrees for puck A and 37 degrees for puck B. However, the speed of puck A is unknown and the speed of puck B is also unknown.
parthman5000
Hey everyone.

I am really stuck on a problem that seems simple but I just can't figure it out. The problem goes as follows.

There is a collision between two pucks on an air-hockey table. Puck A has a mass of 0.039 kg and is moving along the x-axis with a velocity of +5.5 m/s. It makes a collision with puck B, which has a mass of 0.064 kg and is initially at rest. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart with the angles of 65 deg for A and 37 deg for B.

I know this problem is really basic but i just can't figure it out unless I have one of the final speeds. Despite all of my work I will still end up with 2 variables. I have checked a bunch of examples but every single one them gives the final speed for one the pucks and the TA at my help session doesn't really give any hints as to how to solve this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you apply energy conservation?

Yes I did let me show you my work:

X component:
(M1 x VAi) + (M2 x VBi) = (M1 x VAf cos theta) + (M1 x VBf cos theta)

Y component is the same except for cos is replaced by sin and negative VBf.

So I got this for X component:

(0.039 x 5.5) + (0.064 x 0) = (0.039 x VAf cos 65) + (0.064 x VBf cos 37)

and this for Y component:

(0.039 x 5.5) + (0.064 x 0) = (0.039 x VAf sin 65) + (0.064 x - VBf sin 37)

The intial side of the equation is easily solved but that leaves two unknowns on the final side causing my brain to hurt.

You used conservation of momentum, but not conservation of kinetic energy (In elastic collision kinetic energy is conserved).

I tried using the conservation of kinetic energy but it still leaves me with two unknowns on one side.

since Ki=Kf

Ki = (1/2 x M1 x VAi^2) + (1/2 x M1 x VBi^2) = (1/2 x M1 x VAf^2) + (1/2 x M1 x VBf^2) = Kf

So if I plug in my values it solves the initial side but not the final side because of the two unknown variables.

Anybody have an idea on how to solve this?

Hmm... I guess it can't be solved since there are two unknown variables unless I am forgetting something fairly obvious. (or maybe its too hard for all you physics masters :biggrin: )

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Related to Solving for two unknowns in a 2-D elastic collision. HELP

1. What is a 2-D elastic collision?

A 2-D elastic collision refers to a collision between two objects in a two-dimensional space where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other without losing any energy in the form of heat or deformation.

2. How do you solve for two unknowns in a 2-D elastic collision?

To solve for two unknowns in a 2-D elastic collision, we use the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. By setting up and solving a system of equations, we can determine the velocities and directions of the objects after the collision.

3. What information do I need to solve for two unknowns in a 2-D elastic collision?

To solve for two unknowns in a 2-D elastic collision, you will need the mass and initial velocity of each object, as well as the angle at which they are moving towards each other. It is also helpful to know the coefficient of restitution, which represents the elasticity of the collision.

4. What is the coefficient of restitution and how does it affect a 2-D elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much kinetic energy is conserved in a collision. It is a value between 0 and 1, where 0 represents a completely inelastic collision (where all energy is lost) and 1 represents a completely elastic collision (where all energy is conserved). A higher coefficient of restitution means a more elastic collision, while a lower coefficient of restitution means a more inelastic collision.

5. Can the conservation of momentum be violated in a 2-D elastic collision?

No, the conservation of momentum must be upheld in all collisions, including 2-D elastic collisions. This means that the total momentum of the system before the collision must be equal to the total momentum after the collision. If the calculations show a violation of this principle, then there may be errors in the measurements or calculations.